Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Picked up the K30! What to do with it??? Link to PICS !!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Last night my friend and I went and picked up my new K30! What a bitch to load on a trailer! Now I am just not sure what to do with it. I was originally planning on putting the front and rearends in my Blazer and parting the rest. Now that I rolled the Blazer, who know????

Options seem to be this---
    1. Fix the Blazer, swap the front and rearends into it, and part the truck. Easiest option and the least work.
    2. Shorten the Crew, build a coil spring 3 link for it, and put my Blazer motor and tranny in it. Bob the bed behind the tires for a 90 degree departure angle w/ a small flatbed. The only problem that I have w/ this option is that I am REALLY attached to my Blazer and I LOVE wheelin' it!!!
    3. Fix the Blazer, leave the axles, and fix the Crew and use it as a driver!

What do you guys think? Here is a link to a bunch of pics of the CREW!

My Web Page

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Drop the K5 body onto the K30 frame, drop the wheelbase to 120" or so, cut the rear of the tub from the top of the wheel openings straight back to clear the tires and go!

I was going to do this, but it sounded like wayyyyyyy too much work, plus I'd have to ditch my gas tank

3. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

I vote option #1.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Just pulled the tag off the rearend... Sweet! It has 4.56 gears!

5. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

take the axles and put them under the K5. Then take the K5 axles and put them in the crewcab and either resell it or regear the k5 axles and then keep it as a tow vehicle.

Nick

6. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

What time did you go pick it up? I might have passed you going the opposite way.

Did the move go ok?

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

We left Duvall around 6 and got back around 12:30 last night. My buddy has a 2004 Dodge 2500 HD Cummins and it towed it GREAT!! Only took a 1/2 tank of fuel over and back, and that was pulling Stevens Pass at 55 on the way home! Had a little bit of a time getting the bastard up on the trailer, then the dually hubs didn't want to fit between the fenders so we stacked a little wood and got some air in them and it was fine.
    Thanks again for the offer on picking it up!

8. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

cool /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Glad you got it figured. I left the Bothell area around 8pm and got home at 2 am. Had to go 35mph in 3rd gear up Snoqualmie and got about 5mpg the whole trip. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I think I should be getting a Cummins.

9. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I thought the DRW axles were considerably wider track than the SRW or K5... never mind moving the spring perches, which isn't catastrophic, but just overall width.

Would you then have to run wheels with a weird backspace, or... ?

-- A

10. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

# 3, please!

Dude, please do not cut that thing apart. Do you realize how rare that vehicle is? It would be easily restorable for someone. Can't you find axles somewhere else? I bet you could sell it and make enough of a profit to go out and buy some other axles. Im begging you!

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought the DRW axles were considerably wider track than the SRW or K5... never mind moving the spring perches, which isn't catastrophic, but just overall width.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. The track width is wide. Good for Hummer wheels, or custom, but not much else. You could trade axles with somebody wanting to go DRW on an SRW K30. Cost for narrowing the D70HD and finding SRW hubs for the D60 are considerable.

Check the diff on the D70HD... if its a 4-spider open unit (almost looks like a Powr-Lok) you can get a drop-in Detroit similar in design & price to the one for 14FF.

For third option, splice the back of the K5 tub onto the crewcab. Maybe 140" wheelbase or so? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. The track width is wide. Good for Hummer wheels, or custom, but not much else. You could trade axles with somebody wanting to go DRW on an SRW K30. Cost for narrowing the D70HD and finding SRW hubs for the D60 are considerable.

Check the diff on the D70HD... if its a 4-spider open unit (almost looks like a Powr-Lok) you can get a drop-in Detroit similar in design & price to the one for 14FF.

For third option, splice the back of the K5 tub onto the crewcab. Maybe 140" wheelbase or so? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the axles are wider but that is good because I wanted to run stock Hummer rims. Now I am thinking about just fixing the dually and getting it running good and cleaned up and selling it and buying a diff D60 and another Blazer body for mine

13. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, definitely do not molest that nice crew cab, and don't blaspheme by stealing the 1 ton axles. Drive that sumbitch!

14. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Keep the axles. Chop it up..... hehehe do what ever it takes to get wheeling again!!!

15. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Well, I decided that I am just going to steal the D70 / D60 combo and put them in my rolled Jimmy, and then part the rest of the crew cab. It may be a bad thing, but hell, I am just too attached to my Jimmy (imagine that) to part her out or wheel something else. She is still fixable, so she is going to go into the shop a 3/4 ton and come out a 1 ton w/ some added OPTIONS!!! For starters, a windshield would be a good option!!

[​IMG]

16. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

I'm with BlueBlazer62 and 75-K5 on this one don't go and cut it up or take pieces off of it. I've got an 88 Chevrolet regular cab V30 with the 454EFI, SM465, 4.10s (doesn't have a posi rear though /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif) and I absolutely love my black beast. BlueBlazer62 has a very valid point about it being rare, I can vouch for this as I live in Alberta (truck capital of Canada at least if not the world) and over the many years I have seen a handful of these trucks up here (especially trailering specials)
    What does it have for a drive train in it (motor, trans, t-case)?
    What's up with the 13,000lbs. GCW under the trailering special emblems?. My 88 is only rated for 10,000lbs (GVWR). How many leafs does it have in the front and rear?
    Here's a picture of my truck.
    [​IMG]

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

wow, that choice would drive me INSANE. I think I'd fix the dually up, but hey don't let anyone cause you trouble man, we all have people tell us we are stupid for descisions, they are often right but its what we think that matters right?

18. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

yo pooh.....lemme know when your ready for the window /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.....will it be done for memorial day?

19. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I doubt it, but my wife is gonna work at the Gorge that weekend so I may bring the motorhome and kids and come camp for a day or 2 anyways /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, just w/ no rig... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif