Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Picking Brains

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Feb 6, 2001.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I bought an 85 Honda 350x ATC friday. It runs great but wont idle. It spits and coughs and backfires thru the carb. The plug is good. The plug wire is brand new. I took the carb apart last night and its clean. No gunk, junk, sludge. Is there a way to check for timing? Anyone have any ideas?

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

go to the local honda dealer and look at the microfiche,,it should show ya where and how,,,if not the mech should be able to tell ya or lok it up,,,,,get a printout of it to work from,,,it's pretty easy but i can't remember exactly how to do it...

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. KENBARBOUR

KENBARBOUR Registered Member

Does it idle better with the choke on? If it does it sounds like the pilot jet is clogged. The carb can look clean and the jet still be clogged, espicially if it sat for a while. I don't think the timing can change much because its CDI. Try adjusting the idle mixture screw (the one on the bottom) I work at a honda dealer I'll check on it tomorow if i have time. Later on.

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

HELLRAISER, it runs great when the choke is on. Its starts on the first or second kick. It did sit for a few years. I'll tear into the carb again and root around some more. Is the CDI the brain? I need to replace the decompression cable. I about broke my ankle. It cackles quite a bit too but it has a pretty good exhaust leak I'll blame that on. Thanks for the help.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes, the CDi handle the ignition and rev limiter.

The best thin to use to clean out jets is to get some guitar strings or somehting similar, and push it through them a few times. I had a small pebble or dirt particle in one of my jets once.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

It looked pretty spotless to me, but leave it to me to miss the forest for the trees! Thanks for the feed back everyone! I'll let you know

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim