Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Picking the right carb??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy_tuff, Apr 8, 2004.

1. chevy_tuff

chevy_tuff Registered Member

hey, i own a 1980 chev with a 400 sb. it has a rochester quardrajet that needs to be replaced badly. i was just wondering what would be a good replacement carb. i can get the edelbrock avs series for dirt cheap. is it any good? how about the holley truck avenger?, or should i replace it with another quadrajet? i was gonna rebuild my carb, but the butterfly valve or whatever u wanna call it has tons of play, ive been told it cant be fixed. also im buying an edelbrock performer intake and im running headers with a K&N filter. any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I guess part of the decision would be what you actually do with the truck. If you do mostly on road driving, I would go with the Edelbrock carb. I have had good luck with them. But not always the best at hard off camber angles. If you do a fair amount of wheeling, than stay with the Q-jet. they work very well off road stock.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds to me like the primary throttle shaft is loose, and yes, you CAN buy bushings for those, and the right drill bit, or you can typically pay a carb shop $40 to do the one.

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Rebuild the Quadrajet for under $30. Rebuild kits are cheap and pretty easy to do.

Replace the worn bushings yourself. LOOK HERE

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

re-build the q-jet or but a rebuilt one.
    I though for a wile ohh I want a eledbrock carb... I though I would make more power, so I got a Performer 750 MC(basically the same thing as a AVS other then the AVS is better offroad) put it on and got it running right and it ran like chrap compared to my old q-jet. So I just cleaned mine up(dident need a re-build yet) and stuck it back on and it runs great