Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Picking up a CUCV

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by kennyw, Sep 27, 2005.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Got most of the money I need to pickup a M1028 (I think) from a friend. It's a dually, regular cab with the 6.2, dual alternators, dual military batteries, and some interesting modifications from the previous owner, friend found it on the back lot at a local dealer as a trade in right before they auctioned it...

D60 front and D70 rear w/4.56 gears. Not sure if anything was installed for lockers in them?

Odometer shows only 20K, seat looks brand new (still brown vinyl military seat). Hard to tell if it is 20 or 120K original miles... have to do some more close looking at it. Motor runs smooth and strong.

One funky thing is someone installed a 700R4... no telling how long that is going to last. Fluid smelled slightly burnt already. Shifts very late for the diesel, so probably a gas tranny. With the low gears and short tires it is hitting OD at 55 mph which seems about perfect, but durability is worrying me. Think I'll look for a 4L80E for the long run...

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well let's hope that they didn't take everything that is 1028 specific, like the front locker in the D60 and the 205 Tcase. The tranny is easy, if you want a TH400 I have one with a brand new still not installed TC for diesel.

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

cool.. a new kenny road trip truck!!!

4. kennyw

I'm not 100% sure it was a M1028 though... only has a 700R4/208 in it now. Have to pull the covers to check for lockers, but when my friend tried it on loose sand it dug in with opposite corners he said.

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

didn't know they made different trannys for gas and diesel :confused:

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

not the tranny just the govenor. that is what tells the tranny to shift at a set time.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Governor and Torque Convertor

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

i knew tc's were different from gas to diesel.

is the governor an internal part of the auto tranny?

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup..

The govenor is located IN the tranny,usually in or near the "tail" shaft housing..its driven off the rear output shaft by a nylon gear-,and it can be removed by taking the tin cover off the side of the tranny,and pulling it out...the cover is sometimes pressed on,or some have a wire bail clip like a master cylinder to hold it in place--has an "O" ring on it to seal it..

The govenor is basically a shaft with a gear,that spins--weights on the other end ,somewhat similar to the advance weights in a distributor, fly out under centrifical force,and allows a valve(a steel rod,basically!)- to move in the hollow center of the shaft,and open or block 3 slots in the shaft-the tranny fluid goes thru the shaft,and when the govenor reaches the speed where the valve opens,the fluid goes to a different passage in the valve body,and causes an upshift or downshift,depending on how fast its spinning..diesels have different weights and springs,so it will shift up at lower RPM's than a gas motor tranny,to take better advantage of the diesels low end torque..

A picture would be worth a thousand words!..I'd post one if I knew how!. :doah: :crazy:

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

wow that is interesting!! so i really would need a tranny from a diesel when doing a swap/replacement. this is something useful to learn :D thanks

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not really..

You could use a gas engine tranny--just swap in a diesel torque converter and govenor..rest of tranny is identical,as far as I know... :crazy:

I know of more than one diesel truck around here guys just tossed in a 700R4 from a 305 and drove it!..I dont know how critical it is to have the correct converter--the diesel converter has a 6 bolt pattern,gas ones have only 3 bolts--I assume 3 out of 6 fit,since they just put the tranny in--(or maybe they swapped the diesel torque converter into it?)..the gas tranny's shift later than a deisel one would due to the govenor calibration.. :crazy:

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Actually all you need is the governor and the Torque converter.
    Both are easy to change the TC especially since you will have the tranny off anyway,
    The governor is a 2 minute job:
    POP the clip off the cover pried off, pull the governor off and slip in the other governor in, replace the tin cap on and tap it in replace the clip on and voile you are cooking now. Takes really 2 minutes.
    :D

13. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

Most 1028's had the 400 to 208 combo except for some of the dually's and ambulances. None of the dana 60's came with locker's (just the rear had detroits) but some did have trac locs (limited slip), I had one in mine but it was junk.

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well silly me I called it a locker, yeah i's the trac loc.
    And the number M1028 I believe was to differenciate those trucks from the regular M1008. 2 in front of the 8 I believe is for dually??

15. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

OK I FINALLY re-newed my membership just so I could chime in to this thread :D

From the -10, -20 and the -34P TMs:
    M1028 single rear wheel, NP208, front Trac Lok
    M1028A1 single rear wheel, NP205
    M1028A2 dual rear wheel, NP205, (D70 rear axle)
    M1028A3 dual rear wheel, NP208, (D70 rear axle)

In one of the TM's it actually admits the M1028A2 was a M1028A1 with a dually rear and the M1028A3 was M1028 with a dually rear (although they were NOT retrofits). Only the parts manual lists the Trac Lok for the M1028 (and M1031), no other models listed. The -20 TM also mentions that some variants of the M1028 series came through with 200 amp altenators and/or Air Conditioning "fixtures" there was no different designation for these models.

16. kennyw

Thanks for the info... was there a plaque somewhere that will tell me what model this was originally?

17. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Yep the "data plate" should be on the inside of the driver's door frame.

18. kennyw

:doah: just what I thought... except I only have 4 empty holes in that spot.