Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Picking up a junk yard 6.2 tomorow....what to look for? what to get

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by camarossguy2, Jun 30, 2006.

1. camarossguy2

camarossguy2 1/2 ton status

I am going to pick up a junk yard 6.2l diesel out of a 80s turck tomorrow at the local junk yard.... there are about 10 to chose from...

I heard there is a difference between vin codes...like "c" and "j" witch one should i get and why?

What else should i make sure and grab? radiator? fuel pump? is there a separate vac pump for the brakes? accessorrys??? or can i use the serpentin e offf my 350 TBI?

anything else? i need all the help i can get, since i dont know a hole lot about these

i also plan on putting on a bank or ATS turbo kit

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

"C" and "J" codes..

Most 1/2 and 3/4 tons with 6.2's got the "C" code motor,which has EGR ...the "J" code motors are mostly in 1 tons,and had a different intake with no EGR valve,and they breathe better than the "J" code intake does..not sure of any other differences between the two....

I'd definately grab the radiator,and its upper support that bolts to the radiator support,you'll need both to swap it into a gas powered truck..the fuel or "lift" pump is on the block ,similar to a SBC fuel pump on earlier ones,later trucks may have an electric pump instead..

....you'd be wise to get a diesel gas tank if possible too,it has a different sending unit--and the dash cluster so you can get the "diesel fuel only" fuel gauge,and the glow plug light,and water in fuel light...also the wiring harness under the hood,if your truck was a gasser,so you can plug in the glow plugs easily(or you could just rig a manual pushbutton easily instead--)..

You might want to grab the battery tray on the drivers side,so you can install the dual batteries required for a diesel...and the glow plug relay and wiring,if you decide to go "stock" with wiring and hookup..

The torque converter is different on diesels VS gas...more bolts and a different stall speed..if your using a gasser tranny,you'll need it!--the govenor is also "programmed" to make it shift sooner than a gasser,but might not be an issue really...

Most 6.2's with A/C or automatics have a vacuum pump in the motor,where a distributor goes on a SBC...no need for an external one...you'll need the hydro-boost brake setup though,a stock vacuum pump isn't strong enough to run a vacuum brake booster...I'm unsure if any gasser pulleys will bolt up to a 6.2,never tried too myself..:crazy:

3. camarossguy2

camarossguy2 1/2 ton status

Thank you very much for the info,

From my searches, i dont know iof the accessorys will bolt up...all i found was people saying that the 6.5l accessorys did

Hmmmm

Anyones else?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

only the 1/2 tons got the 'C' code 6.2's...all the 3/4 ton and one tons got the 'J' code.

Rene

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Your 350 accessories will not bolt up.

Rene