Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Picking up a parts truck. What should I grab off it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by newyorkin, Apr 29, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My uncle is hooking me up with a '93 K1500 that had the same trouble my truck had, rotted brake and fuel lines.
    The tranny in it feels pretty loose, shifter has a LOT of play, and unfortunately I can't drive it first. But this is right in my price range, so I'm going for it...

Anyway, I need to get this in and out of my yard fast... What would you guys suggest I pull off it?

Here's my list so far:
    -Motor/Tranny/Transfer case
    -Front pumpkin
    -Front cv axles
    -Master cylinder
    -Windsheild
    -Rear window
    -bench seat (sold to guy on the internet)
    -Tailgate (sold to guy on internet)
    -Doors
    -Radiator
    -Grille
    -Front bumper
    -Rear axle
    -front/rear driveshafts
    -gas tank

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I can think of a few things that I'd love to get my hands on. ;) Like a door, a bed.. large items that are costly to ship. ;)

Send me an email patrick_wang@yahoo.com

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ratch, the prob I had with my Getrag was shifter related. There is a hardened roll pin in there that broke on mine...leading to where I had 3rd gear only. The shifter was very sloppy.

The shop I had fix it had it reparied in no time but used a regular roll pin even after I asked if the roll pin was hardened from the factory. The new roll pin lasted a week, and the bastards had the nerve to charge me to repair it a second time.

Anyways, just a heads up that the shifter mechanism might need some work...

Rene

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I wonder if that's what's messed up with mine, maybe it's not completely going in gear right...? My shifter feels a LOT tighter than this one, but mine grinds like I'm dragging a pile of steel...

I'm going to call a couple tranny guys my uncle knows today to see if anyone can bench/dyno test the donor after I pull it. Maybe I'll have them change that pin you're talking about, too.

I'm really hoping not to do this job twice... A small voice in the back of my head pops up and says "fix it and sell it" now and then.... Not to mention the beating I know I'm going to get for dragging this parts truck home...

Pookster, let's chat... The bed looks like it *was* in pretty good shape, til someone at the shop banged into it with a payloader... There's a decent dent in it just behind the cab, not bad damage, but makes it not a perfect bed... The donor truck cab has wayyyyy less rot than my truck (none I think), but my truck is red and has a 6 foot bed (donor is blue w/8-foot bed), and I don't want to mess around with swapping vin plates and stuff.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm getting tempted to pull this thing apart and rebuild it myself...

[​IMG]