Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pickup cab differences?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cavalry, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Whats the differance in pickup cabs (81-7)between 2 and 4WD besides the hole in the floor. Also is there a difference in AC and non AC. anyother things to look out for?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the tranny hump is shaped differently, you almost need a body lift to clear the tcase with a 2wd cab.

3. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    what if I were to cut out my K5 tunnel and weld it in?

4. bga

bga Registered Member

You can trim the outer layer of the tunnel on a 2wd and it should clear the t-case. This had already been done on my truck when I bought it, and it din't have a body lift or anything.

The t-case was pretty close, but it never caused a problem while that cab was on there.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

do you have pics of your truck's flooboard? i'm in the process of swapping to a manual on my auto 2wd cab.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

dunno about newer ones but the old cabs the 4x tunnel was a boltin deal

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    dunno about newer ones but the old cabs the 4x tunnel was a boltin deal

[/ QUOTE ]
    negatory on that one MJ, mine is WAAAY off.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

what I meamt was the tranny tunnel was a piece that bolted in place and was removeable.
    my current cab barely fits with a 2" bodylift and the extra deep trans mounting of the c30 frame
    I would look into getting the removeable trans tunnel from an older truck to see if it could fit your cab
    I may do that in the future as I cannot psuh the tranny as high as I would like it
    I can get the mounting feet of the trans adapter flush with the C30 rails with the breathers rammed hard into the floorboard

9. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I about ready to modify a tranny hump on a 2WD crew cab. It seems as if you can cut out the top part of the 2WD hump and bolt on the 4WD hump. However, There still is going to be a two inch gap between the two humps at the rear or 4WD hump, so I still have do some fab work. Maybe I can use two 4WD humps and put them front and back and extend the hump.
    As the difference between the late model and early model humps is the late model 4WD hump is longer.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My 74 plow truck has a 2WD cab on it--I had to cut the solid hump out and put my old 4x4 bolt in floor hump in it--you also have to add some metal to the rear of the hump near the seat,because it sits a few inches higher in the back--if you leave it open it makes a nice hot air furnace duct!.
    My truck already had a 3 inch body lift,not sure if the transter case would have hit without it,it sure looks like it would.Hope this helps you some--I know the years are different,but I think the cabs are pretty much the same on 73-87's with minor differences--K5's are a different story,they changed the design of the floor pans in them at least once during those years.

11. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Every 70's-80 truck I've seen had the removeable hump. They were all manuals though /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

They ditched the removable tunnels in the early/mid 80's. The floor pan is stamped as a high-hump or low-hump. If you find a junk 4x4 cab, you could cut out as much tunnel as you need.

AC cabs have the heater box hole in a different spot than non-AC. Have to cut a new hole and fill the old if you're using the wrong cab. (Done it - not hard to do.)