Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pickup cab on Blazer frame, what all is required?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Sep 11, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ok I'm jumping around but my K5s body isn't very beautiful. It looks good from the outside but the supports and lots of floor is a little cancerous. I'm thinking maybe it would be best to just take a pickup cab and throw it on my K5 frame. Is this a fairly direct bolt on or lots of mount moving? Thinking this would be nice for making a roll bar and flat bed.

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I think the pickup cab would be a lot easier than an S10 cab. Plus it would be road legal for you and cover the tires. The only mounts you would have to move are the 2 at the back of the cab. The front 2 cab mounts and 2 radiator support mounts are the same between your blazer and a pickup.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

wait, whats not road legal about a s-10 cab? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif i run lil tires onroad... I think with flaps I could get away with it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I said it in another thread about an s10 rebody, in PA your tires can't stick past the body. So yeah for me it wouldn't work out very well unless maybe I used flared fenders. And as for small tires, no just no. I don't want to ride around on little tires. Also I would probably have to go with an Automatic trans for the S10 and I don't know how an auto with 38s and 4.10s would work out.

5. wild-will

wild-will 1/2 ton status

It would work ok dude

6. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    I said it in another thread about an s10 rebody, in PA your tires can't stick past the body. So yeah for me it wouldn't work out very well unless maybe I used flared fenders. And as for small tires, no just no. I don't want to ride around on little tires. Also I would probably have to go with an Automatic trans for the S10 and I don't know how an auto with 38s and 4.10s would work out.

[/ QUOTE ]

i run small (35x12.5x15) tires onroad in my k5 now. 39.5 TSLs offroad. I dont have a problem runnin lil ones on road.. better mileage and I dont shread $1000+ rubber on asphault. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I dont think your tires are supposed to stick out in my state either... but if u have good big flaps (look dorky, but its the price ya pay I guess) you prolly wont get in trouble. had a buddy in a old cruiser that got pulled over... on his rig, damn near the entire tyre was outside the body, all the cop wanted him to do was put on his mud flaps (he had forgot to reattach them after wheelin).

j

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

An s10 cab could work with a flat bed and tube front end but the law for inspection states "fenders of original design" which could be taken very loosely. Could be argued that fenders that cover the tires and just continue the body are "original design". Its up to the inspection agent but the problem is if a state trooper decides the inspection agent was wrong they can strip your stickers and fine said agent. I am a licensed inspection agent and all I have to say is I wouldn't stake my license on a tube front end.

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Ive done it,its a way easy project /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.I did mine in a day.Lots Of swap info here with links to several other posts on cab swaps /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

crwln73, I love his flatbed, thats the style I would do, not sure if his was a K5 originally.

10. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    An s10 cab could work with a flat bed and tube front end but the law for inspection states "fenders of original design" which could be taken very loosely.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i think if I lived over on the east coast and I wanted to do the s-10 cab thing, I'd prolly bolt some fiberglass pre-runner/flared style fenders on there and when I wheel just pop em off. No point in getting yourself busted if ya dont have to!

j

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I may see how much they want for the cab yet.