Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pickup Envy

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

This was in the newspaper yesterday. I don't know who the original author is, it was in one of those supposed-to-be-funny columns in the entertainment section:

Well, I see Gladys Loulke is at it again.
    Now she's ranting about pickups.
    She was whining yesterday about people driving their pickups to the mall.
    I say drive whatever you dang well feel like driving. Whether that's a Saturn or a space shuttle, drive the dang thing.
    Loulke was complaining that she had to "park nine rows back because three trucks were taking up all eight front rows" You have legs, Loulke. Use 'em.
    So nobody was buying hay at the mall. So what? They may indeed have been buying a kiosk. Even if they weren't buying something that is too big to fit in a dorky little car, those truck drivers have just as much right to drive their trucks as Loulke has to drive her tiny Honda. Actually, they have even more right, because they have bigger vehicles. It's called "bigness rights."
    Also known as "right-of-way points," bigness rights are the unwritten rules of deciding who goesfirst at four-way stops and other intersections. They also work when two drivers arrive at a parking space at the same time. With bigness rights, the one with the vehicle that will do the most damage gets his or her way.
    Right-of-way points are similar, but don't just take the size of the vehicles into consideration. Right-of-way points are calculated based on the overall appearance of the vehicle and driver.
    If one person is driving a brand-new Ford Mustang without a speck of dirt on the temporary plate, that driver will get to go last in almost every situation.
    For instance, the Mustang may get to an intersection at roughly the same time as the driver of a 1982 four-door long-bed dually pickup. The truck's four fenders are different colors, and none of those colors match the colors on either door. Obviously, the truck will go first.
    What about if it's the Mustang driver vs. a driver with a brand-new Mercedes? The Mustang goes last again, because it's obvious the Mercedes driver has better insurance. Get my drift?
    So get yourself a rusty old pikup, Loulke. You may spend more on fuel, but at least you'll get to go first at four-way stops.

-Scotty Tonk

2. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

fuel economy = less armor

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I'll agree to a point, but when I see some bitch on a cell phone driving an empty excursion around with no tow hitch on it, I get kind of pissed

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll agree to a point, but when I see some bitch on a cell phone driving an empty excursion around with no tow hitch on it, I get kind of pissed

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I still think this is cool...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Resurrection_Joe

It's pure unadulterated waste

7. bigyellowjimmy

What do you think our trucks with 38's and 40's are? Im sure if we wheeled Nissans we would be much less wasteful /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Resurrection_Joe

We use our big giant trucks

A woman driving around alone in a Excursion that isn't used for anything but commuting to retail locations is waste

I don't argue against large vehiles, I argue against misuse of them

Actually I kind of want a Zuk.... Hahahahaha

9. bigyellowjimmy

She's safer running errands in an Excursion so she's using it for safety. She gets around the same fuel mileage we get in our trucks. I dont get it? To me it gets kinda fuzzy when we judge people on what they drive just cause we think they dont deserve to have it cause they dont use it like we think they should. There's virtually no one that uses the ZO6 Vette to its ability either, it sucks gas and only hauls two people with no luggage. I'd own one in a minute if I had the $$$ though. Yes, Zuks are cool, they are very popular down here and can be made into awesome trail vehicles since they are so light. D44/12b combo works very well on them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    So just cause a woman drives a large SUV that makes them a bitch /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

saftey? hahaha nah man she doesnt have it for safety, she has it cuz some Sugar daddy bought it for her...

Why did she want it? Cuz everyone else has one... New, Large, Shiny, With big ass wheels, SUV's are almost getting generic. No one has them for any purpose, except to either show off their bank roll, to make people think they have a bank roll, or simply cuz its the cool thing to have. Im not one to bitch about gas guzzling rigs, cuz that would make me a hipocrit, but deep down i wish the fad was to have a somewhat economical car that still looked cool, with your big ass rims and small ass tires.....

12. bigyellowjimmy

I like it that SUVs are big, I wish they were bigger. I dont understand why people are concerned with what other people drive....is it jealousy? Are they concerned that the SUV's are raping mother earth of all her oil? I think people should have the right to drive what they please. Just my opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Silver84k5

personally i dont give a rats ass... its the attitude of some people that i come across.. "since i have a brand new denali with 22"s my [darn] is better then your ugly truck." I admit i am generalizing here because there are people with shitty attitudes that drive everything from a 74 rust bucket to a 04 denali. But when they are in a 04 it just makes me want to punch them a little harder, I dont like snobs. They all get the finger anyways so it really doesnt matter. different strokes for different folks, but id just like to see a little more Originality in peoples rides i see the same [darn] everyday, "heres my new rig, heres my credit card, go to town." The only jealousy i have, is to the people that were around in the muscle car era, where people were a little more original, a little more self sufficent, and a used their cars a little more for what they were built to do.

14. Resurrection_Joe

I'm generalizing here!

Hell if they are good drivers I probably wouldn't be so irate about theier wanton excess

15. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

" The only jealousy i have, is to the people that were around in the muscle car era, where people were a little more original, a little more self sufficent, and a used their cars a little more for what they were built to do."

im sorry but that quote just screams "im old and i dont like new things"

silly silly silly

its wrong to judge people, especially for stupid crap like this

16. bigyellowjimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    I admit i am generalizing here because there are people with shitty attitudes that drive everything from a 74 rust bucket to a 04 denali. But when they are in a 04 it just makes me want to punch them a little harder, I dont like snobs. They all get the finger anyways so it really doesnt matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you assume that everyone that drives an 04 SUV is a snob and you flip them all off because of that assumption but you "admit" that if they drove a 74 they may or may not be a snob? Wow, you truly do generalize. What can people drive so that they wont get the finger from you? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

17. Silver84k5

i never said everyone who drives a new car is a snob....

18. Silver84k5

im saying that im jealous that i missed that era because i wasnt around... how does that make me sound old... i was talking to a guy at work who said he built a 500+ hp 396 for around 1 grand.. and i just wished i couldve seen that.... im 22. i like new stuff, but im more interested in the old tech of engine building. im not into the "put a chip in my truck for more power" stuff...

and im not judging anyone... i dont make judgements on what people drive...

19. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i dont make judgements on what people drive...

[/ QUOTE ]

<ul type="square"> [*]she has it cuz some Sugar daddy bought it for her [*]Why did she want it? Cuz everyone else has one... [*]No one has them for any purpose, except to either show off their bank roll [*]I admit i am generalizing here [/list]

20. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    . i was talking to a guy at work who said he built a 500+ hp 396 for around 1 grand..

[/ QUOTE ]

To put that in perspective....I bought a New 70 Mach I for $3055 TTL out the door....I bought a New 72 AAR Cuda for $4585 TTL out the door...my best friend in HS got a 68 Camaro 396 425hp/4spd for graduation .. his Grandmother bought it for him...$3200...

That would make a $1000 motor approximately 1/3 the cost of the whole car....it's all relative....we no longer even blink at 4cyl grocery getters with $25K sticker prices.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif