Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pickup gas tank replacement question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm replacing my fuel tank on my 86 CUCV. The straps had rotted through and I thought I could save the tank, but when I took some of the rust away with a wire wheel it started leaking. Not a huge deal since I can get a replacement for $100.

My question is about the cork looking pads that are between the straps and the tank. They need to be replaced, but I don't see them in LMC or anyplace else. What's the deal? Do people just leave them off most of the time? Anyone have a source for them (besides dealer?) Is there some generic hardware store material that would be a good replacement anyway?

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I replied to this in the body shop, go get an old inner tube, and cut it up.

3. Mastiff

Just replied to the other thread... sorry for the double posting. You are talking about between the straps and tank, right? Either way it's a good idea.

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Yep, those are the ones. I didn't know the originals were cork, when I dropped the tank on my K5, they were rubber.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I used roofing felt. Looks to be about exactly what GM used on the tanks I've pulled.

Rubber from innertube is a good idea. (bicycle innertube works great for protecting tie down straps too:))I painted my tank where the "pads" ride so that whatever moisture is held there, has more of a barrier to get through to rust the tank.

Heck if thats all the stuff is they are selling for $20, I'll sell you a nice chunk for $10, you pay shipping! Just kidding, I'm not offering stuff for sale here. :) You can probably buy a whole roll of felt for $20.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  6. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

the ones LMC sell are roofing felt, makes me feel oh so warm and fuzzy inside knowing i paid $20 or so for 4 small pieces of tar paper.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Hmmmm....

You mean you fellt like the one in your avitar on all 4's?? :crazy:

I think the bicycle inner tubes are the best solutuion!--I use them over the chains on my stepside taigate to keep them quiet and prevent scratches--but you have to cut a slit in the bottom of the "loop" to let rainwater out,or the chains will rust away in record time...

I think it is just roofing paper factory under the tank straps...seems a pit pricey,20 bucks for 2 strips of roof felt--nothing like making a mint off something that costs a few cents... :frown1: I've used strips of conveyor belting on a few tanks I replaced..most places put nothing at all on them--one shop I know of uses duct tape!.. :crazy:

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

felt paper yeah

welp trapping water and sand and junk between them and the tank will just cause rust out again anyways

same problem all over again, wont take long to happen in the midwest i know

good luck

9. dyeager535

If I could have come up with something that prevented squeaks, abrasion, and sparks, along with NOT retaining moisture of any type, I would have used it. Couldn't think of anything better than painting the tank (which GM didn't do) to improve on GM though.

Well, guess you could use innertube and silicone the heck out of it to keep moisture from getting underneath, but that would be messy and very time consuming.

31 gallon skidplate (on the K5 at least) is just as bad for rusting a tank as the "felt" though.

10. Mastiff

So it sounds like you guys are suggesting I might be as well off to put nothing in there because the felt will make it rust faster? Won't metal on metal cause it to chafe through though?

I'll probably go with some felt from Home Depot. I'm planning on painting the whole tank with POR-15 or Rust Bullet, so hopefully that will go a long way toward preventing rust.

11. dyeager535

I would definitely not suggest running it "bare". The straps do NOT hold the tank in place as snugly as you might think, so I guarantee that in some cases the tank has some "wiggle" that the material GM used absorbs. Even in cars where flex wasn't nearly the issue it is with the trucks, material was used.

Tank abrasion would actually be my number one concern. Even metal on metal is going to trap all kinds of material and help corrosion, so you might as well use something that at least prevents some problems.

Painting the straps is probably a good idea as well.

Someone else might be able to answer this, but thick grease on the "pads" MIGHT help keep rust at bay a while longer, I don't think that area would get hot enough for grease to melt out. Man that would be a mess though. But I know in the rust prone areas, anything to make the metal last a year or two longer is probably welcome.

12. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I put the silver POR-15 on mine while I had it off. It looked like there was a galvanized coating on it, but under the straps is where I found the most rust, and it's a CA truck. I just cleaned those spots up, put some marine clean on it, metal ready and then the POR-15. Also, when cleaning the marine clean off I used a garden hose, just make sure you seal up the sending unit and inlet holes well.