Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pickup gas tank swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by YELL78, Jan 31, 2007.

1. YELL78

YELL78 Registered Member

hey guys i have a 78 swb pu and it has the dual saddle tanks with a switching valve and i want to swap in a 31 gal blazer tank that i have. just wondering if any of you have done this or have pics, also what did you do about the sending unit being as there was two and now ther will only be one?
    thanks for any help you can offer

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well the Blazer tank will have to go in the back, under the bed ... you know, this right?

You would plumb and wire the Blazer tank to the lines and wire at the switching valve, right-side frame rail, IIRC, between the tanks. Extend the three fuel/vent lines (all different sizes, IIRC) to the new tank, and the yellow (pink?) wire to the sender.

-- A

3. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I put one in my old shortbox. Pretty easy, had to put in a crossmember for the front of the tank to hit but worked great with the rear most crossmember just had to drill holes in it for the straps to bolt through

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The most difficult part of the swap is setting up a filler neck... The rest can be done in an afternoon.

5. MNorby

i brought my filer neck into the bed right in the corner on the pass side I might be able to find a pic...

6. MNorby

here you can kinda see it. It was in the same local with the straight bed too just had to bend my filler tube some more. I had an exhaust shop make me a tube to hook to the rubber on the filler neck on the tank then swelled the otehr end to fit the rubber to go onto the filler neck itself. Used the stock rubbero nthe tank and a stock rubber fomr the truck and the truck neck on the filler side

DSC02425.JPG