Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pickup saddle tank guards

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Langosta39, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

Anybody know where to buy these or have pictures of some? My tanks are really taking a beating, and I'd kinda like to protect them before I have the fuel capacity of a Honda Civic.

andy

2. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

if your thinking about the stocks ones don't waste your money. the ones i have (i'm sure there stock) wouldn't do much if they found a rock. Best bet would to make your own or mount a fuel cell in the bed of the truck like i plan to do, and get rid of them all together. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Eh, all they are is plastic. They merely promote rotting out by holding rocks and dirt between it and the gas tank.

There is, however, a metal bracket that continues around with the strap that is used with the plastic guard.

I know what you mean about gas tanks taking a beating, my passenger side one has a dent in it worth about a quart of fuel on the bottom right at the back of the tank.

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I'm with wrathorc, every truck I've seen with the guards still on them have had tank issues! I bought an 88 K30 with saddle tanks from a buisness fleet, and they had just bought brand new tanks because the plastic guard holds water against the tank and rusts right through them! Don't use them, build yourself something if you like, but put drain holes in it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I don't know what you guys are talking about, my '79 has stock metal skid plates for my two tanks. They take a beating and hold up just fine. As for promoting rust, you just have to hose out between the tanks and skid plates every once and a while; no big deal. Hope you can find them. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well my 86 k-10 had the saddle tanks on each side..just took them both out today due to leaks..true i have an east coast truck...but yes the gaurds do make the tanks rust IF you dont keep after them..the one tank that still had the gaurd on it had a rust whole big enough for me to put my fist through...and it wasnt even hooked up for some reason either...but anyway just keepem clean in there!!! i have a plastic one from a 16 gallon tank id be glad to ship to ya if you like though.

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i just swapped in a blazer tank. i know its not the answer you were looking for, but its a solution. the back of it sits just in over the diff. you'll need a few inches of lift or the rear will bottom out into it. its protected on the bottom by the driveshaft, so if a rock punctures the tank you lost your shaft anyway. the hardest part is running the fuel fill tube.

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yeah they are plastic.. i have them.... you can kinda see them here...

http://68.45.114.100/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/Pics/truck/truck1.jpg

p.s. i will have a extra set soon.. like when i pickup my parts truck on monday.... so if you want i can ship them to ya the next weekend... u just pay shipping..... they are plastic and will hold up against rocks sliding on them.. but not from stopping rocks from denting the metal..... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replies, I am definatly looking for something that I can drop the truck on, so it seems that I will be swapping to a Blaz/Sub tank if nobody makes steel rocker/tank guards.