Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pickup Tail Gate Swap to K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by djsblaze, Jun 22, 2005.

1. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Looking for some help here. I have an 89 K5 and want to go with a pick up tail gate. I searched the forums and found 3 helpful threads, but am wondering if anyone ever did a tech article on it, or if there are any more informative threads I might have missed. Im trading some work for parts, and Ive got an 87 truck tail gate for free, with the factory hinges. Most of the threads said "find the same year" but thats not an option on an 89, trucks were newer body style. I'll admit Im no computer genius, but I did TRY and search for some "how to" advice. If anyone can jump in or point me to a link, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks, Doug.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I don't have any good links but my understanding has alwas been that a K5 will readily accept a pick up gate. My suggestions would be to get all of the hardware (bumpers and bolts, not just the hinges), I would also say take the parts off of the donor yourself. A box of parts may not make sense if you don't see them previously assembled.

3. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply NVRENUF. Found some articles saying that some of the gates are different, the only sound advice I saw was "pick the same year" which isnt an option. Im gonna give it a go with the 87 gate and see what happens. Ive searched my butt off and cant find any good instructions. Thanks for the help

4. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

Let us know how that goes.I need to do the same on a 85.Maybe YOU could be the one to do a tech article?Take pics when you do it.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

These gates were available but you'll have to find a (rare) 88-91 crew cab dually.

Fwiw, when I painted my 91 crew cab I installed a used gate off of an early 80's (83,84,85) pick up. As far as I could tell (and remember) there were no differences in the gates.

An LMC catalog might shed some light on any differences. My guess would be any potential differences are related to the 80/81 (slight) body style change.

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

On my '73 and '75 the back half of the truck is a regular pickup bed and everything was a easy as can be bolt on. I did run oiled taps through the factory threads since they had never been used.

Newer models are different I know. Just look and see if the area has extra threaded holes.

7. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Boys, if I can get this figured out, I'll let you know how it goes...Im going permanant softop, so Im GOING to make this work. Also saw in another thread that I can get some tail gate weatherstripping for trucks (intended for use with campershell) to hopefully keep out the fumes (its a tired engine). Other than that, I dont know what other mods to keep in mind. I'll update, but if anyone else has any thoughts, keep em coming. Thanks again.

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Just get all the hardware, the holes are allready ready on the k5.
    Here is a pic of mine with a truck tail gate

Storage Truck 005 (Large).jpg

Storage Truck 014 (Large).jpg

Storage Truck 015 (Large).jpg

9. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Nice pics, thanks. This project is a go....

10. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

K5 blazer tailgate to truck tailgate tec article:

Remove blazer tailgate, hinges, and load cables.

Install brackets from donor truck

Install truck tailgate

Don't wanna sound like a smartass but that really is it. Just check your rear quarters and if there are some blind nuts there that have nothing hooked to em that's where the truck gate brackets go.

Blind nuts lol :D

11. oldassjeep

oldassjeep Registered Member

My K5 is a 1988. I used the tailgate off an 1982. Got all the hardware from the donor truck, hinges, pivots all of it. The K5 has the holes there for the installation. Just install it. T'was the easiest mod I've done.

12. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help fellas. Project is a go as soon as I find some time (next weekend?-hopefully). Ordering the softop, and DP90K5 is going to fab up a cage to work with my softop (RIGHT DP, PLEASE.....). :o

13. Kevin DeLuca

Kevin DeLuca Newbie

I know it seems easy to fit a pickup gate on. I bought a gate from an 86 pickup for an 86 k5. It doesnt fit! Im Thinking a gate from an 80-81 is thinner. It doesnt sit flush, the inside of the gate is hitting the floor and wont line up on outside. Maybe its just a crappy after market part?:confused:

14. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

my tail gate is off a 73 fits perfect

15. mudboggink5

mudboggink5 1/2 ton status

What kind of soft top you gettin? I have the half cab one, thinking of going with full soft top. I like the Tailgate idea. thanks :thumb:

16. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Any fleetside tailgate will fit a Blazer. Years don't matter. However score all the hardware (pivots, bumpers, and hinges) with the tailgate. There were changes in the hardware somewhere in the '80 ish model.

Any difficulties could be due to previous body work, or floor/tailpan replacement.

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That post was from 2 yrs ago.

And as stated already the gates swap to all years ('73-91, duh). The bed hardware and gate hardware just need to match.

18. bownut

bownut 1/2 ton status

This is good info. I am redoing mine this winter and like the truck tailgate idea. Have the latch on the outside so it doesn't interfer with my tonneau cover and lose some of that weight. Plus I have a mint SS insert for a truck gate and my insert on the blazer has some denting.

Another related question. I've been looking at rollpans and i see the blazer is different than the truck. I'm not sure what is actually different, but I assume something to due with clearancing the hinges/spring assembly? Now if I swap to a truck gate and lose those, is there anything stopping the use of a truck roll pan that anyone can think of?

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The frame is different in the back. I found out when I went to put a step bumper onto my Jimmy.

20. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Well, since you all revived my old post, I'll tell you that the swap went great. I used campershell weather stripping for fumes...works great, but don't look that good. I went with the softop from Offroad design...cant remember the brand now, but i like it. Its a pain trying to snap it on in cold weather, but now it has a garage, so problem fixed.