Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pickup Tailgate Swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigTex, Jan 5, 2001.

1. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Guys, has anyone out there ever swapped their truck's tailgate to a pick up tailgate? I know Stephen from Offroad Design has done so. I want to put on a Kayline soft top and also wanted the weight reduction of the pick up tailgate. Is this a direct bolt-on? How easy/hard is this? Any mods? I'd appreciate anyone's info.

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I think you stand to lose +/- 20Lbs if you have a motorized window t-gate. I couldnt tell you if the latch mechanisims on the bed rails are different from a Blazers.

3. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I am really thinking about doing the same thing. I know that the top latches are different. But, when I bought a new tailgate for my old truck a few years ago the top hinges use a flat metal latch where as the blazer tailgate uses a rounded type latch mechanism. Worst comes to worst I think you may have to drill two hole per side to put in the top latch mechansim but it will work. They have these parts relatively cheap at some part stores or go to the dealership.

I hope this makes some sort of sense!

74 Blazer

4. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Zepplin, if memory serves correct, I know that there are supposed to be 2 different tailgates. I think the '81-'87 won't work on the '74-'80. Again, I know that Stephen from Offroad Design did that to his truck, so it definitely is possible. I think as long as we stick with the same era tailgate it shouldn't be TOO much of a hassle, but then again, that's why I'm asking. Anyone else out there have any ideas? I would think many more of us would be interested in such a swap. Thanks for the input.

5. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I changed to a pickup tailgate and you just need to get the gate and hardware from the same vintage pickup. There is a difference between 73-80 and 81-up tailgates. It is a direct swap because GM offered the Blazer with a soft top and it came with a pickup gate.
    Steve Frisbie

[image]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1191682&a=8779286&p=28489343&Sequence=0&r[/image]

6. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Did the swap to my 76.I just got the tail gate and hardware all from a parts truck.If your going too buy a new one be very carefull about the thickness of the sheetmetal.A friend bought one out of a catalog and the first time he jump up on it too get in back it put a crease in the middle.Also clean all the holes on your body with a tap.The nuts on the other side are just cage nuts and break out easily.I learned this the hard way.Swaping from my manual roll up too the truck gate saved about 60-80 pounds.Those things are heavy i was suprised.Good luck.

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Just to add one more "I did it story".....I put a pickup tailgate on my '74. I got all the stuff off two different year trucks neither of which was a '74. One note. Chevy did some changing on the trunions (where the tailgate pivots) to prevent the gate from being stolen so easy. Normally you can raise a gate about half way up and pop it out of the trunions because the one on the passenger side is rectangular instead of round. There is a corresponding slot in the tailgate that alows it to lift off. At some point Chevy did away with the slot making it much more difficult to lift off. I had to cut a notch in my tailgate with a hacksaw....not a big deal but ya might want to look for it. Other than that is was a bolt up deal. I don't think the latches are even sgnificantly different. Good luck!

Michael[​IMG][​IMG]

8. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to say thanks for all your suggestions, guys!