Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pickup Tailgate Swap

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by BigTex, Jan 6, 2001.

1. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Hi Stephen. I know you swapped your truck's tailgate to a pickup tailgate and I wanted to do the same for my '79. Just what exactly does this entail? Would a '79 pickup tailgate bolt right in? What kind of modifications would I have to do? I posted this on the regular forum but no one else seems to be able to help. Thanks in advance.

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I ran a truck tailgate for a little while, but put the k5 gate back on. The truck part rattled pretty bad and didn't seal up well at all. It was a little lighter, but not enough to justify the work to paint it green and find a way to seal it up. The hardware bolted directly in. I used the parts from an 83 or 84 truck and my tub is an 82.
    That's what I know

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

3. i saw this too and am very interested in it. concerning the rattle, do you think the weatherstripping from a blazer/jimmy retrofitted around the pickup tailgate on the inside would tighten the gate up so it wouldnt rattle? let me know what you think, i think this is a great modification, esp. with a sot top!

4. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I also want to put a truck tailgate on my 74. If I remeber correctly, I think J.C. Whitney sells some sort of weather stripping for pick-up tailgates. I am not sure how much it costs or if they still carry it.

74 Blazer

5. hey zepplin, i looked in j.c. whitney, and sure enough i saw what you were talking about. it is a tailgate seal kit that runs around the edge and is used for p-ups that have a camper shell. i think it would work, and besides its only 19.99!! i plan on doing this in the near future. i will let you know how it turns out.

6. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Cool, let me know. I will probably do the same sometime in the spring.

74 Blazer

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The rattle was from the inside, I think it was the latch stuff. I didn't put a lot of thought into how to make it work since I didn't want to have a new 'gate painted anyway, so I just gutted the K5 gate and called it good. A seal kit would solve the noxious gas problem, at least from the truck......

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

8. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

One thing to keep in mind is after removing the glass and track system in the K5 tail gate, it doesn't weight that much more than a truck tailgate. You can also use the empty space inside the K5 gate for storage.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.com/chevy>http://www.off-road.com/chevy</A>