Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pickup tool boxes, What have you got ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudslinger99, Jun 17, 2005.

1. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about buying a pickup tool box for a 84 chevy k20.. So what have you got ? Brand and how much ? Pics a bonus :D

I want a good quality one that goes across the bed and mounts secure.. One of my main concerns is THIEVES :angry1: I would like one that is hard to get in to and also a way to mount it the best I can for prevention.. So lets hear your ideas.. Thanks

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Well, I can tell you DON'T get a Delta, they are junk! With mine locked I can still easily lift the handle to get in. Tractor Supply Company sells a nice box with high quality latches. I think big83chevy4x4 has one and he likes his.

3. mudslinger99

I thought Delta was supposed to be one of the better brands :dunno: I am glad you mentioned that because that might have been one I might have checked out..

I had a construction box in a pickup a few years back that got stole out of the back in less then a 5 minute trip inside a drug store.. I lost about $5000 bucks just in tools.. It was so heavy I had to build a ramp to get in and out of my truck.. They backed their truck up to the side of mine and drug it over the side of my bed and messed up a brand new paint job :angry1: ..

I just bought another play truck so I need a box to have room to store tools,straps,cables you know all the stuff that is neccesary to wheel.. So that is why I'm trying to find a good box.. And maybe a few Ideas to mount it for a little extra prevention.. Thanks

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Tuffy security products are pretty good I had one of their boxes and someone tried to get into with some sort of pry bar and messed the lip of the lid up pretty bad but the latches held. To mount it I just drilled holes through the inside of the box and throught the bed rail and welded nuts to a piece of angle iron to put up underneath the bed rail.
    I also like boxes with a one piece lid because a shovel will fit in them easier as well as being able to see where every thing has settled to.

5. google

google 1/2 ton status

The guy that owned my rig before me built one out of 1/4 inch steel. Just a basic box with 1/4 inch steel latch on the top for a pad lock. It carries the amp, cd changer and everything else I don't want to lose.

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

in my 04 dodge i tow a Goose neck trailer. i also want to build some type of bed cover for mileage. how does this concern tool boxes you ask? well... i needed something large, but small enough for the GN hitch. i also needed something that sat a bit below the bed rails. it had to lock in a secure manor and had to be decent looking and not an eye sore, read NOT CHROME!!

ok, so the bed cover i plan on building will be folding in nature. 4 sections to be exact. the first being the same size of the box i ended up buying. the rest smaller.... again, you ask where is this going... im getting there.... the panels need to be stored under the first panel... so i need 1 inch of space. but then i cant get into the box with the stuff stored on top of it...

WHAT TO DO?!?!

go down to the trailer supply store and find a side box for a deck over trailer. mine measures 18 x 18 x 48. has a FULL opening lid on it. it is NOT indexed. this means you can flip it to open UP, or DOWN facing backwards orn to the top of the truck. it cost me less than a "truck tool box" and is powdercoated black. think works like a dream. only drawback in my world is i cant open it all the way with the trailer hooked up... BUT if i had a long bed i wouldnt have any problems.
    Grant

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yes, i have a TSC box and i love it.

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah buy you got more under it then IN it LOL.

I got that pic of you where you can ONLY see the tool box sticking out of the water, in the deap chanel you hit lol

10. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

UWS is the best out there. You get what you pay for, now they are expensive, around 400 for a deep powdercoated black one but its a real nice box.

11. mudslinger99

resurrected jimmy: Tuffy security products are pretty good I had one of their boxes and someone tried to get into with some sort of pry bar and messed the lip of the lid up pretty bad but the latches held. To mount it I just drilled holes through the inside of the box and throught the bed rail and welded nuts to a piece of angle iron to put up underneath the bed rail.
    I also like boxes with a one piece lid because a shovel will fit in them easier as well as being able to see where every thing has settled to.

Very good info :waytogo: .Thanks for the info on the Tuffy.. I like the welding the nuts on idea and the angle iron will make the mount to the bed rail stronger.. A buddy of mine had a big job box that didn't go over the rails in his truck it sat right on the bed floor .. He drilled holes thru the floor in to the frame and put long bolts thru it and tightened the nut to the frame.. Then he welded the nuts on for added protection.. I need to haul some plywood and such from time to time so that is why I'm thinking about the over thge rail kind... Thanks for the ideas

Seventy4Blazer : Some what funny yet informative post :D Thanks

K20: I got a UWS on mine.

[url]http://community.webshots.com/photo.../58740691KpWWko[/url]

I like it, cant say about price, I got it for christmas(I love my parents lol). I know its one of the nicer ones available, so its a little more

I never heard of a UWS brand ? Nice looking truck :saweet: Thanks for the Pic..

[​IMG]

What kind is that ? Tuffy Security Chest :dunno: .

Thanks fellows for the reply

12. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

These guys make some of the nicest stuff I have seen in the US....

You will see there belly boxes on a lot of big rigs and firetrucks...
    First rate quality

http://www.800toolbox.com/

cam

13. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

If you want security get a Knaack or Job Box gang box. The only way to get it is drilling the lock or a torch.

DeeZee is also a good brand of regular truck box also.

14. mudslinger99

Hey Darkshadow post up that pic I would like to see it :saweet:

15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

sure you can sorts see the box in there! lol

that wasent were he was supost to go!!

[​IMG]

16. mudslinger99

Thanks for the link camsk5.. They do look like they are very well built.. It says they come with a lifetime warranty, but other then the lock,hinge or the gas rod that holds them up there is not much can go wrong.. They said thier boxes are 1/8 inch thick and most other boxes are 1/16..

Hell after I looked at them I realized the box might cost almost as much as the truck :yikes: :haha:

17. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

now that is thinking!!!!!
    [​IMG]

always hate seing the dog in the back like it could jump out and get hurt it it saw a cat or something

18. mudslinger99

That is what I had before in my work truck... That is the kind that got stole out of the back.. I'm sure they had plenty of time to use the torch key after they got home :mad: . They are very good boxes if you want one that dosen't go over the rails.. I have seen a few of the HUSKY job boxes from Home Depot riding around but I haven't seen one up close..

The DeeZee boxes seems to be what is popular around here because that is what I see the most of..

19. mudslinger99

Cool pic looks like alot of fun :D Who's truck is that ?

I wouldn't mind blasting mine thru there a time or 10 :thumb:

20. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Mine is made by UWS.Its aluminum and powdercoated black.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]