Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*PICS* A good day collecting scrap and some soft-core wheelin'

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Jul 31, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

A guy I work with asked me where I haul my scrap metal metal to. I gave him directions and then asked what he had. He said an old 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive truck and some rear ends. I told him I would come over and buy his "junk" from him so he wouldn't have to haul it. I will keep some of it and scrap the rest to recover what I spent on the junk.

My truck/trailer weights were: 3,000 lbs steer axle, 2,340 drive axle, and 8,340 trailer axles (7,000 lb trailer, no trailer brakes :rolleyes: ) for a gross weight of 13,680 lbs, all pulled by a stock '96 Z71. The truck on the trailer had everything loaded in the bed and it pulled awful; I drove 30 mph all the way home.

This is what I got:

1978 3/4 ton 2wd, not running
    2 extra 14 bolt FF axles (3 total 14 bolts including the one in the truck)
    2 truck rears, 12 bolts - one is good, one is junk
    10 bolt from a Caprice - junk
    2 good radiators
    a set of 52" springs (3 leafs and an overload)
    3 new tires for my small single axle trailer
    2 15x8 white spoke wheels
    a big pile of engine parts and aluminum.

Now the pics:

Here is the truck. It has some new bias ply "farmer" mud tires on the rear. We plan to run it in a demolition derby.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are two 12 bolts and two 14 bolt FF axles. All 3 of my new 14 bolts are 3.73 open carriers.
    [​IMG]

This is in one of the 12 bolt rears. I don't know what it is, but it seems to work good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YUK! I think I will scrap this one!
    [​IMG]

I don't have any running 4x4's right now, so we took my '92 Sport out wheeling. It has a 5.0 HO, AOD, and a trac-lock rear. The only carnage was busting off one of the tail pipes and ripping off the rear ground effects. It gets high centered real easy, but a good way to get "unstuck" is for all 4 guys in the car to sit on the same side, then the tire that was off the ground will touch the dirt. One of the pics shows the mud in the front suspension area.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is my new helper. He is always in my way, but I still love him.
    [​IMG]

Well... that's about it until next weekend.

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

:laugh: sweet,

my weekend consisted of doritos, and family guy.

it looks like you had a better weekend

3. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

That looks like a good haul and a lot of fun. And to think all I did today was tear down a 10-bolt axle...

That 12-bolt up there looks like an auburn or eaton posi. Does the other side have 3 springs? Is there a little funky symbol on the backside of where the gears mount that looks like the logo on this page?

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

good score.. funny thing as I work at an oil refinery... as soon as I saw those open axles I smelled gear oil..... guess just my brain reminding me what my garage smells like right now!!!!! :doah:

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You didnt use your crane???

Nice score!..I hate to see that red and white truck get demo'd though...it looks like it might be worth resurecting in the pictures!...

Didn't try out your crane/trailer ?..too much stuff I guess,huh?..

If I were feeling better,I know where I can get a dodge front axle from a 70 3/4 ton(drum brakes--boo-hiss) and some other scrap at my friends apartment building that was sold recently--new owner wants all the stuff gone--but I think I've got pneumonia,and scrap is only 65 a ton right now..maybe later it will still be there,and the prices might rise by then--I hope so,because I have a whole 1973 k10 frame to cut up,and some other junk to scrap.... :doah: :crazy:

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I'm not sure, can't remember :crazy: I just wish I had a truck to use it in.

Just be glad you aren't smelling my Thunderbird right now. We were driving it in our almost-dried-up lake and it stinks like rotten fish!

The truck is fairly rough. It has a broken front coil spring and a broken rear main leaf and needs a windsheild and many other small things. It has the coil over helper shocks on it and I guess that's what holding the truck up... :crazy:

I have been using it around the house quite a bit, and got it full of parts right now. The guy I picked the truck up from has a loader tractor and had all 5 rear ends and the other misc scrap already loaded in the bed of the '78... all he had to do was push it up my trailer ramp.

YIKES!!! I wish it was that much here, I get only $40 a ton! :mad:

7. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I didn't see any junk; All I saw was "treasure" in my eyes. :D

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yep, me too. And this guy was going to throw it all away! :confused:
    We are a rare breed...

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Update!

Scrap prices rose to 70 a ton yesterday! :D :bow: ...almost as high as when I junked my K20 2 months ago!--(it was 75 a ton then,but fell to 40 a few weeks later! :eek1: )...the bad thing is many trucks that normally would have been put aside for parts at the junkyards now go directly into the crusher instead,now that its so high--bad news for us older truck enthusiasts! :mad:

I just about cry every time I go there,and see trucks that look as good or better than mine going to the crusher,without even looking to see if they have a good motor,etc..not to mention all the axles,tranny's,other parts,etc..many dana 60's have been wasted around here the past few months..EVERY truck that had one is GONE!...one was a 1 ton dual wheel dump truck with an SM465 and a dana 70 rear..crushed!..
    :mad:
    They have even hired guys to cut up the big rigs and busses,something they havnt done in many years..pretty soon all the yards will be barren,and China will have all our steel... :( ...my scrap pile is much smaller than it was before--I only have a frame,and some household junk left to scrap--probably not even a ton ! :(

10. royjones

royjones Trucker upper Premium Member

metal

Hay guys scrap metal is 3.50 a ton here it was 5 dollars aton about 2 weeks ago