Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pics and ideas on brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by neverendingproject, Dec 12, 2005.

1. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Got some 6-lug shafts for my 14sf today (read feedback section for shane74) and I have been rollin around ideas on brakes. Though im sure that corporate made disc coversions are high quality, i've opted to do my own and here is the progress. (not much)

What we have here is my new 15 inch rims and I wanted to do a brake kit that didnt use the huge, expensive, and rare-ish 76-78 calipers. I used rear calipers out of a mid 80's caddillac seville. They come with e-brake and arent that rare. Though they are smaller in comparison and the brake pads dont have the surface area of the large ones, im confident that with the still relativlely large piston, these calipers will be effective. I am also doing a hydroboost swap but I believe that these will work well in vacuum setups too. The rotors I am using are front rotors off 99+ tahoes, subs, and trucks. So far they fit well but are quite close to the rims as you can see in the pictures.

I will have to get the centers of the rotors turned out and possibly the ouside diameter turned by about 1/8 of and inch or so, to insure clearance on installation, but it may not be necessary.

So what do ya'll think?

DSC00337.JPG

DSC00343.JPG

2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Looks good. I think the more people that try different brake setups, the more options we all will have. Having more choices is definitely a good thing. Show us how it works out.

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

My thinking is that you want to use unmodified wear parts if at all possible. So I'd do everything possible to NOT modify the rotors. My reason is that now I can get a replacement rotor from the parts house in Ely, NV while on a road trip and not have to find a machine shop to make them fit on the truck.
    Usual rule of thumb is that the max OD of your rotor will be 2" smaller than your wheel size. With OE sliding calipers you may fall a little short of that since the rule was intended to be applied to racing calipers.

4. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Well I test fit everything but the one thing I forgot to check is what bites me in the butt. My axles are about .1 inches too bigin outside diameter. The hub isnt too big like I thought, its just the OD, so I will have to figure out something to get it to fit. I will post up when I get it together more.

5. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What'd you figure out?:D