Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics- Around Washington with mountainexplorer

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Aug 27, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Hello. My name is mountainexplorer.

Let me be your guide around Washington state this week.

Hang on... let me take this call first...
    [​IMG]

Ok, I'm back. Anyway, our first picture stop is McChord Air Force Base, to pick up a K5 from my friend Dillon (mepr). Even though I don't have the money to pay for it, he needed it moved, so I took it on a "pay later" basis.
    We towed it off base with his Luv and a strap, avoiding getting pulled over by base security.
    [​IMG]

From here, we go north towards Bremerton, and over and down to Mason Lake, not too far from the Hood Canal.
    [​IMG]

At this small lot on Mason Lake, my dad built a small cabin in the '60's, pieced together from demolished houses in Bremerton.
    [​IMG]
    Soon after he made an all-concrete boat house right on the lake, utilizing the roof as a deck.
    [​IMG]
    He sold the lake place around the time I was born, since he no longer lived in Western Washington. But when I was a kid, we still visited the place several times and it brought back alot of memories. The sale contract is still in effect, so technically I think we still own like $2000 or less in remaining payments on the place, but it will be paid off very soon. The people who bought it were nice enough to let me park there for a couple days.

Welcome to my home on wheels.
    [​IMG]

Time to head towards home and say goodbye to the lake.
    [​IMG]

Through Bremerton where my dad used to live long before I was born. Here he worked as a structural engineer at the Naval shipyards.
    [​IMG]

We squeeze onto the Bremerton to Seattle Ferry. Theres a sub-story to this on another post.
    [​IMG]
    That's my freebie bike I found in the back of a Dually parts truck I bought last year. If you go over 15mph on it, it feels like you'll crash and burn.

Here is Seattle. Yes, I know I need a haircut.
    [​IMG]

I'm not a big fan of the heavily populated areas. I'd rather spend time at places like this in nature. This is Deception Creek on Stevens Pass.
    [​IMG]

Back down Stevens pass...
    [​IMG]

And a quick touristy stop at Leavenworth, Wa.
    [​IMG]

Used about half the cash I got from selling some springs on an overpriced souvenir. Then charged more gas, and went home.

I calculated out what I charged for fuel on my credit card. If I re-sell the K5 I am buying for $1000 (twice what Dillon is selling it to me for), I will almost break even on my trip to get it and cost of the K5. The 440 in the motorhome got about 5mpg. But I want to keep the K5 as a driver for a while. Oh well, at least I got to see some sights.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
  2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Looks like you had quite a trip.I used to stomp around the Mason Lake area a while ago,mostly Spencer Lake and Hartstein Island.Brings back good memories...

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

5mpg ant that bad for you mansion on wheels pulling yet an other k5, i was thinking around 2 :haha::haha::doah:

you did see some sights got some great seanery up there, very nice

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I have that same redneck truck shirt you're wearing in the Seatle picture, except mine is sleeveless for the added redneck appeal and ventilation.

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but he was probably only pulling 40 when I passed him on I5. :crazy:

6. mountainexplorer

Only thing I saw in Tacoma was a Dana 60 under a truck go past me.

I got up to 65 or so on straight stretches when there wasn't much traffic.

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

There was also a fridge, a washer, a dryer, and a K30 with that Dana 60, but I guess your vision is somewhat "selective".

8. mountainexplorer

I saw those too. But the pass side Dana 60 hub caught my eyes first when you went by.

Pretty nice truck I must say. :)

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Thanks, would be better with some tailgate hardware though. :doah: I really enjoyed driving it the last couple weeks, but I think I'm gonna have to park it with these gas prices. I had to fire up the ole Datsun today to do some running around. :(

10. mountainexplorer

Won't Dillon loan you that fuel efficient Sedan DeVille he just picked up? :laugh: