Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

! PICS ! - Doug Thorley headers on a BBC .....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

OK,

I wish I could say I was thrilled at receiving my Summit order in only 24 hours.... but after doing a "test fit" of the Doug Thorley #304-Y headers on my sample 454, there is clearly something WRONG.....

See pics:

[​IMG]

Look pretty good coming out of the box......the arrow points to the passenger side collector which is curiously "swept upwards"???? Can this be right...? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[​IMG]

This is the driver's side installed. Looks good, doesn't rub on the frame....clears everything really well and sits about level with the bottom of the frame.

[​IMG]

Huh? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Look at that flange!!! It's sticking ABOVE the framerail at a weird angle....even though the opposite side header is at the BOTTOM of the framerail....... "WTF"? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[​IMG]

The problem should be even MORE obvious in this shot. I'd estimate that the exhaust flange is at least 6" higher on the passenger side!!!

[​IMG]

Another slightly closer shot of the same offset flanges..... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I know that Shawn Spickler ran these headers on Potent Rodent, but I sure don't remember him making any comments about fitment weirdness like this....!! Is there anyone else out there familiar with Thorleys that can tell me if I've gotten some kind of mismatched pair, or if this is ACTUALLY the way they are supposed to look?

If this is the way they are supposed to be, I'll be irritated....but tomorrow I can plasma cut that crooked flange off and re-weld it in a more normal position. I'd just like to know in advance if I should be sending these back for a replacement set first?.....

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I would think that's for clearing the front d-shaft. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

As long as the body doesn't get in the way and you can still hook up the exhaust, I wouldn't worry about it.

Edit: Looking at it more, it does look like the angle on the flange is off a bit. But, having not used/seen these headers before, I can't tell you whether or not they're supposed to be like that.

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

The Hooker Super Comps I had did that same thing... just had to have the local exhaust shop bend up two pieces to get over the cross member. Not really sure why they are like that, but I can say that I have seen that before only on 454 headers too...

Hope that helps...

-Dan

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Dan, of course I had to do the same thing when I had those headers ran on my K5 too...no big deal though

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah my Thorleys are the same way, no big deal, AWESOME headers!! Well worth it!

6. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

In my experience with headers the driver side is lower to clear the oil filter. The passenger side is higher to get over the crossmember and t-case.

I've never messed with Thorley though, too much $$$ for me.
    [ QUOTE ]
    but tomorrow I can plasma cut that crooked flange off and re-weld it in a more normal position

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you know this but be careful doing this, you might mess up the coating or void any warranty.

7. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Here is a picture of some hedman headers, same thing.
    [​IMG]

8. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    In my experience with headers the driver side is lower to clear the oil filter. The passenger side is higher to get over the crossmember and t-case.

I've never messed with Thorley though, too much $$$ for me.
    [ QUOTE ]
    but tomorrow I can plasma cut that crooked flange off and re-weld it in a more normal position

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you know this but be careful doing this, you might mess up the coating or void any warranty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too late!!! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Well not really. I didn't cut the flange off, I decided to try to install the "suspect" one on the real truck just to see how bad it would be. It's actually not as scary looking as it was on the mock-up frame. The first few inches of exhaust after the flange will need to have a slightly funky bend in it, but it should be fine. I'm almost done installing the PS header (it was easier to install from underneath than from above (I don't know why, but I thought headers dropped in from the top).

I just came in to grab the camera to snap a few "in progress" pics that I will post up later on. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Never seen someone install headers from the top /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Never done an install on a car and don't want to, just roll under the truck and slide them up in.

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I know that Shawn Spickler ran these headers on Potent Rodent, but I sure don't remember him making any comments about fitment weirdness like this....!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have those headers in my garage. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I just went out and checked them and while the passenger side does exit much higher, it points straight back. It doesn't sweep upwards like the ones in your pic. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

BTW, it must be tough having a frame, BBC, and a doubler laying around for mocking things up /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

DOOOOD!
    Please take a pic from the side after you install them in your 72 so I can see how low or how high the collecters are.
    Every rig I have seen with Thorlys the collecters are hangin hella low, but maby the 454 version are different??
    pics pics pcispcispcsidjoisdfoifoiitgoiroio
    YYYYYEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBC!!

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That sure is weird, I wonder why they do that. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Perhaps its for shackle bolt clearance?

Not a good way to gain the clearance for a bolt IMO, but I can also see that as the reason the PS collector is angkled the way it is...allows you to avoid any driveshaft, shackle, and crossmember issues. Then again, if you have a later crossember that has "humps" in it, that would make it worse I would think.

15. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    DOOOOD!
    Please take a pic from the side after you install them in your 72 so I can see how low or how high the collecters are.
    Every rig I have seen with Thorlys the collecters are hangin hella low, but maby the 454 version are different??
    pics pics pcispcispcsidjoisdfoifoiitgoiroio
    YYYYYEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBC!!

[/ QUOTE ]

BurtBBC:

Here you go, Bro!

VIEW FROM DRIVER'S SIDE: PROFILE SHOT
    [​IMG]

CLOSER VIEW OF SAME THING:

[​IMG]

VIEW THAT THE DRIVER'S SIDE MUFFLER SEES....:

[​IMG]

VIEW THAT THE PS MUFFLER SEES....:

[​IMG]

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

looks like having them both just a little higher wouldn't be a bad thing.

17. Greg72

It wouldn't take much....on my 1st Gen, I've got a 2" body lift and the transfercase has always seemed annoyingly LOW.....

All I'd have to do is raise that crossmember 2" (and probably lengthen both driveshafts!) and the flanges would probably be almost PERFECTLY aligned with the bottom of the framerail.....

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Because of the doubler, are you going to have the exhaust go out between the frame-rail and hte transfer-case cross-member? </

Or is there room above the 205?

I have the 205 clocked, and I don't see anyway to get the exhaust above. or on the side of the front dirveshaft. I only see it going underneath my sm465, or thorugh the little are between the cross-member "v" and the frame.

But then I have to move all my gas and electrical lines.

What are you plans?

Thanks.

19. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    Because of the doubler, are you going to have the exhaust go out between the frame-rail and hte transfer-case cross-member? </

Or is there room above the 205?

I have the 205 clocked, and I don't see anyway to get the exhaust above. or on the side of the front dirveshaft. I only see it going underneath my sm465, or thorugh the little are between the cross-member "v" and the frame.

But then I have to move all my gas and electrical lines.

What are you plans?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who knows? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That frame buildup is going to be completely custom, so if I find a way to make the exhaust fit through, I'll just build everything else around it... things definitely get tight on the passenger side due to the front output from the 205. I had even considered running a crossover pipe to the driver's side and running a single large exhaust out to the back as a last resort.

20. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Greg I have the SAME headers for my BBC AND i have Spicklers old exhaust (dual 3" flowmater 50's) Well I think they changed the design between the time I got my headers and the time Shawn got his b/c his exhaust would not bolt up to my headers even though we both had 1987 K5's with BBC's and 465/205's /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif...Anyhow I I believe they changeed the design for increased front d-shaft clearance and shackle clearance... I just welded a new flange onto Spicklers old exhaust with about 5" of 3" to correct for the angle..One thing of note though is that mine don't come as close to the frame rail as yours...It looks as though yours is damn near touching...Mine is CLOSE but not touching...The only problem I have with them is that at THAT point where the header flange is close to the frame rail, my fuel lines are pretty close to the headers...I just haven't had the time to throw some heat barrier on them...
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    With a lot of lift you won't have a problem with the front d-shaft but if I had only 2" of lift I can def. see why they made the pass. side flange that way... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Just make you exhuast work with them as they are and keep the warranty.

Chris