Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics from Kentucky Outback Adventure Park

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2Blazer, Jun 21, 2005.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Several guys from our club spent a couple of days wheelin' and campin' at the Kentucky Outback Adventure Park (www.kyorvpark.com) this last weekend. This is the second time we have been there.

The owners of the place are very nice and accomodating, and will usually give a large group a discount (I won't tell you how much we paid per vehicle, but for 2 days of wheelin' and 2 nights camping it was less than what we pay for just the camping at the state parks we usually stay out..........).

The weather was warm and it was very dry this weekend which is quite a difference from last fall when it was very, very wet. Obviously the trails are not nearly as difficult, but we could actually see more of them. There are lot's of very steep and long trails up the sides of the valley which were impassable when wet. For example, last fall there is one trail we tried that nobody could get more than about 2 truck lengths up a hill that must have been at least 1/4 mile long.......even a big block powered truck with dual lockers and 38" Swampers. This time when bone dry it is still steep enough in places for vehicles with dual lockers and 33's to have to back up and hit it harder.

Okay, on to the pictures:

This what they call the "Mud Slalom". It starts out following a semi-technical rocky creek bottom, and then makes a 90 degree turn up a hill covered in loose dirt and rocks, and than a rutted out section with a rock ledge that also makes you "slalom" between a couple of trees. Though not very muddy on this day, all of the vehicles required several tries to get all the way through (smallest vehicle was a Willy's with a V-6, 33's, and dual lockers). The yellow early Bronco took a little too high of a line and tipped over really slowly. No major damage occurred. It has a strong 351, dual lockers, 5.13 gears, 36" Irok's on beadlocks.

brad_mudslalom.jpg

jim_mudslalom.jpg

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

This is what they call the "Staircase"........mostly an optional obstacle off one of the creekbeds. This is chewed up a lot more than what it was last fall. I managed to snap a D60 30-spline stub playing on this, but fortunately had a spare and had it back together that evening. The white 4-runner blew out his front 5.29 r&p and was done for the weekend also.

brad_stair.jpg

brad_stair1.jpg

jason_staircase.jpg

jim_staircase.jpg

jim_staircase1.jpg

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A couple more of the "Staircase", including the V-6 Willy's (nice lil' Jeep!), a TJ with 4.56 gears, dual Ox lockers, and 34" LTB's, "Buford" - '78 F-250 with a 460, 35-spline D60 front w/ Detroit, welded D70-U rear, 1410 shafts, and 42" TSL's, and another nice 'yota with SFA, dual t-cases, 37" Boggers, dual lockers, bobbed bed, etc...

mikel_stair.jpg

mikem_stair.jpg

roy_stair.jpg

mike_staircase.jpg

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The next optional obstacle called the "Rock". There were several pictures of this in the magazine article on the park where they said nobody had ever climbed it. Last fall when it was wet "Buford" (gray F-250) made it up with lot's of throttle but nobody else in our group did. When dry it is still pretty difficult but several rigs in our group made it:

brad_rock.jpg

jim_rock.jpg

mike_rock.jpg

roy_rock.jpg

5. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Looks like a great place - thanks for the pics!

6. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

looks good :D

7. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Great pics!.... looks like an awesome place!!!!!!

I'd love to come check it out, but Living in SC it'll be hard to pass Tellico and Uwharrie to go all the way out there. We really need some stuff like that in the lower SC and GA area :(

8. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

9. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately that's still about 4 hours away from Charleston….about the sane as Uwharrie… I was hoping for something around Savannah… that’s less than 2 hours away from me….

That being said though… that is another place I’d like to check out….. Thanks for the link!

10. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

sounds fun! i cant see the pics though cuz im poor! :(

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice Pics. :thumb:

12. 78Buford

78Buford 1/2 ton status

We definitely had a good time in KY. There was one other obstacle of note. It is called "Deceiving" and there are a couple pictures of it on the KY Outback website. According to the owners, only one rig has ever made it up the Deceiving Trail. It was a '78 or '79 Ford F-250 with dual welded 60's, 39.5 TSL's on beadlocks, 460, 4 speed, "lightened chassis" with no glass, full cage, and a crazy mo-fo driver. 6.2Blazer can vouch for the driver description. :D I glanced at the trail the first day, and wanted to wait until day #2 to try it. I told people around the campfire that I would be kind of surprised if I couldn't get my big pile up it.

The next morning, I walked up to the top of it, and it looked nastier than I expected. I ventured off to the port-a-let after looking at it. :eek1: After taking care of that, I crawled up the first big ledge, and the overweight Ford waddled on to the top section of rocks. I figured I'd have one chance, and if I didn't make it, I would slide to the right, and be wedged up against trees. I hit it mildly, and the front wouldn't climb. Then I hit it hard, and the nose went over, but the rear would not follow. Surprisingly, the truck stayed straight, and I was able to reverse. I hit it hard again, and the nose went over, but not the rear. I turned to the guys watching and said, "She's not gonna do it." I was going to back down the hill (I had to drive the truck 160 miles home) but reversed a couple feet, turned the wheels left and hit it again.

There have now been two rigs to conquer the nasty trail. :pimp1: BTW, I ragged on 6.2Blazer pretty hard, trying to get him to attempt it, but my prodding wasn't enough. ;)

Roy

13. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sweet!!!! :D :D

Thanks for the pics!! :cool1:
    Next time!!! ;)

14. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Looks way cool and Fullsize friendly!
    Maybe this Hoosier can catch you guys next time.

15. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Nice pics Brad!!! Looks like a nice place!

16. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Here's a link to rest of the pics if anyone is interested:
    pics

Several of the trails were getting a little brushy along the sides but not bad, of course most of our "local" trails are fairly tight wooded areas so I'm used to it. I don't think either myself or the F-250 took any damage (neither truck had any perfectly straight panels so it's hard to tell) on this trip, but last fall the Ford took considerable damage. Most of it was more due to hard obstacles and slippery conditions.....I ran the same places with no damage but the smaller early Bronco had body damage also.

This place is much more challenging when wet, almost to the point where a lot of trails would be impassable after a heavy rain, due to a lot of steep hillclimbs. There was one we tried last fall in which the Ford (on 38's at the time) and myself could only get about 2 truck lengths up a climb that was probably 1/4 mile long....no ruts or ledges, it's just that steep. This trip the hill was completely dry and there were still dual locker equipped rigs winching and having to backup in places to hit it again.

17. 78Buford

78Buford 1/2 ton status

Jerry, are you going to make the Wellsville trip July 9th? I plan to be there. I'm looking forward to a ride where I don't have the largest tires. :)

Roy

18. JK5

Yes SIR!!! :grin:

I'm gonna be finishing up the 5.13 gear swap this weekend..
    And the back is surprising getting better...so I'll be there...

I'm thinking about going there for the 4th too.

LOL...Hopefully Jim and Matt come (the millionaire and his son)..
    we'll have a blast showing them what a good rig will do!!!! :D :D :blush: ;)

19. 78Buford

78Buford 1/2 ton status

Jerry:

I'm on vacation that week and plan to get there (Wellsville) Friday afternoon & setup camp, wheel Saturday, camp, wheel Sunday, & head home. 6.2Blazer may have family commitments, but do your best to pester him into going......and at least camping one night. Should be plenty of Jeeps & Yota's to munch on. :D

Buford is used to Jeeps, and familiar with the taste. This past weekend, he ate a few Toyota's too........the big pig ate too much, too fast, and has indigestion.

You and 6.2Blazer/Brad (whatever you call him on here) need to show up & get your share of the grub. :D

Roy

20. JK5

Roy

I'm not not sure what's going on..
    I'm wheelin' saturday for sure. No camping...I need a bed to sleep in.
    I'm going to oaktree...at wellsville...not cable creek.
    My rig isn't street legal at all...and I don't really want to drive a beadlocked rig with 4 lbs of air in the tires 15 minutes from the trails.
    So...we'll have to meet at oaktree or something...

I'll work on 6.2....but "madmike" and "mudjunkie82" are gonna get some ribbin'too!!! ;)

I think we should invest in some "Jeep Recovery" stickers!!!! :D :D ;)

Later