Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics from Mud Days at my place

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, May 16, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

2. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

why is it such a hassle?

3. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Looks like a good time , wish we had something like that around here :waytogo:

4. mountainexplorer

It's a hassle cause of the expenses of the trophies ($265), the t-shirts for the volunteer crew, and some for re-sale ($275), the equipment rental (yet to be billed, (guessing $1000), and outhouses ($150). We collected this year $900 from spectators, entry fees, and sales. Last year we lost and had to pay over $1500 out of pocket.

The pits always need alot of prep work to keep all the racers happy (an impossible task), we always have last minute problems of finding people to do the boring jobs (timing, gate keeper, etc). In addition, I've had these races now since 2002, and getting people I know to even show up and watch or enter, even for free, is near impossible. Out of all my invited friends, less than half actually showed up. I've gotten alot of help and support from my friends that have been there and helped, but why should I even bother if no one else seems to care. Plus theres all the setup and cleanup time. I'm just kinda burnt out. I'll let other people put them on, and I'll go to them. Most likely alone too cause everyone I know will have to cancel.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

That's too bad that not many people show up. I can tell by looking from pics you have posted in the past that you would be a fun guy to hang out with and that you mud days would be a good time.

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Allan, have you looked at getting commercial sponsors? You might be able to get the costs of the event covered better that way.

I wish I could have mad it up like I planned. Ended up stumbling onto another good deal on a '86 GMC Jimmy this week and couldn't pass it up. Left me with no money to pay for gas in my 454 burb to make the trip and my Pickup is down while I rebuild a tranny and tcase for it.

7. mountainexplorer

We had a few people camp up there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The locals resurrected the Datsun thats been sitting in my field since last year. I have a feeling that it may not be resurrected next year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And we had a kids cleanup crew go around and clean up the grounds afterwards.
    [​IMG]

Everyone wanted me to take the bus through the pits, but I was content to just take the load of people spinning around the edges after the races were over.

As far as sponsors go... I doubt anyone will sponsor anything that happens in Ione. 1st they'd ask "Where?" and then they'd say "Where's that?"

8. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

i don't mean to tell you your business, *but*, have ou ever considered keeping it more casual. no trophies, tshirts. any of that stuff. just dig the pit really deep and see who can make it through.

there's a very casual mud bog up here once a year. people just show up during the day, bog, chat, and leave. no one runs the show, no one keeps score. it's just playing in a pit.

the holes aren't to bad at the start, but really get tore up buy the middle of the day, and are near impossible by the end.

it's completly unorganized and it's the most fun i've had in months. :D

9. mountainexplorer

An actual Mud Bog with no rules is where I have the most fun at. However, its also a big risk. I try to have casual play days with no expenses for people I personally invite, but last time I did that like 3 people showed up. I was planning on having an open mud pit day or weekend, but no one had any interest. Alot of the people who show up seem to want the competition and want something to win.

The Mud Bog in Moyie Springs, Id two weekends ago drew over 7000 people, and included a huge open pit, two racing pits, hills and some rocks. But they allow drinking. We dont allow alcoholic beverages. In 2002, I didn't outlaw it but said it wasn't advised. We had two fights, and a bunch of potential dangers, and most of this was between people I knew.

If I had a larger plot of land, sponsers of some sort, and good insurance, I'd try and have a big event like in Moyie Springs. I talked with Bruce, who runs the Moyie Mud Bog and came over to mine to watch, and got some details from him. Even with over 5000 people last year at $10 a head, he still lost money overall. This year they charged $20 a head with over 7000 people and he said they didn't make any money. Theres a large field and hill just to the west of mine and my brother's property, which if I owned would be ideal and I'd keep having events. But insurance on something that big is the killer.

I'd like to have a big mud bog pit, race pits and the hillside and campsite area. Maybe someday in the future, but I'm done for now.