Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics from the Moyie Mud Bog

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, May 9, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

This event used to be called "Krejcis Mud Bog" and was in Peterson's 4-Wheel Magazine a couple years ago. Since then it has grown.

We went up late Thursday night. As usual, our big group cancelled again and it was me and a few of us in my motorhome and I drove my '80 GMC up after putting 235 miles on the motor since changing 2 valve springs the night before.

We got a decent camping spot, and Friday morning I put the other two Boggers on the front, finished bolting up my crossmember, and uncorked the header dumps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When the pit opened, I ran through 7 times. Then the motor seized. I was thinking possible more valve spring issues... possibly dropping a valve and breaking a piston and things similar to what happened to my SB400. I hit about 6 grand with the 454 a few times.

Pulled valve covers and everything looked good. Pulled plugs, and all were clean and buring proper. Still wouldnt turn over. Pulled the oil pan and found these pieces of main bearings.
    [​IMG]

Since I chanced driving the truck there, we were stranded except for the motorhome. Our campsite neighbor nextdoor hooked us up with his buddy who worked at Car Quest in Bonners Ferry, Id, and I pulled a main and rod cap finding mains to be .010 and rods .020 under... and we got a set of bearings ordered.

After Car Quest closed, I pulled the rest of the bearings out and found the crank to be worse off than I thought, and found that the front main bearing slid forward out of its journal and into the bottom gear of the gear drive. I needed a different crank to make the motor last even another pass.
    [​IMG]

Time to pull the motor out again... about 1 week since it went in. I had all the tools except my balancer puller was stripped, so we put out a "needed" sign, and our neighbor camping up the hill hooked us up with one. I remembered I had a freshly turned 454 crank that was .020/.020, and started making phone calls.
    [​IMG]

Got my friend Keith to grab my "Utah Crew Cab" and car trailer and cherry picker from Ione on his way over to the mud bog Saturday morning. Meanwhile in Spokane, I had a friend Travis pick up some .020 main bearings and a pilot bushing in Spokane and Joe grabbed those from him and my crank, dropped them off with Crystelle (aka former "girl at the Schucks counter) and she drove them up to us. During the wait time I tore the old crank out and watched others run through the pit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Crystelle showed up with the crank Saturday afternoon and I went to work polishing off some surface rust from sitting. (note the "nice" conditions for doing engine work in the background). Both her and Keith took off that afternoon and a couple other friends showed up later on.
    [​IMG]

As soon as I started laying bearings into the motor and the crank, people kept driving by blowing up dust... then is started raining and we had people throw a tarp over us as we worked.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When the bearing seized in the bottom crank gear, it sheared off the keeper key... then we lost the other one, so I had to make some by cutting some washers with a sawzall.
    [​IMG]

One flywheel bolt cost us over 45 minutes in looking for it, then another 30 minutes in travel time to go pick up one. One of the security guys knew a friend who had one, and a used oil filter (better than re-using the one that we had).

The entire day, people were walking by making comments and talking with us, and even stopping by when they needed bolts or belts which I had spares of. We helped one guy bend back his rim and air up his tire, and small crowds of people would stop and watch at times.

By nearly midnight, it was back in and ready to fire, and the crowd cheered us on as the motor came to life and ran.

Sunday, I ran it 4 times through the different pits then loaded it on the trailer before I could blow it again. (I know it wont last with the filthy conditions).
    [​IMG]

Then we loaded up and left for home Sunday. I felt bad trailering it home. In the 11 years we have owned the GMC, it has NEVER been towed anywhere before. It has always been the truck to drive itself everywhere and usually tow everything else in the past (in my Pre-Crew Cab days)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As strange as it may sound, I still had fun.

And heres a couple other rigs from up there:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Ive said it before and ill say it again, your stories rock.

3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds like a blast!!!

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Where are the pics of the parts store chick?? :D

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

agreed. :saweet:

6. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I didn't think until the last day to take pics of everyone that helped me out. Since we didn't have cash, I had to cheat and sneak her in by walking down the road and giving her one of our wrist bands, then riding in the gates with her. But at least it worked. :D

But I couldn't have done it without everyones help, and I felt very impressed by the kindness and support from everyone up there who were willing to lend a hand or just gave us the thumbs up and encouraging comments as they walked by. Most of the people had never seen anyone do anything like that before, even though just up the road another guy swapped motors in his Bronco. He only took 3 hours. I wasn't as quick.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thats awesome Allan...nice story!
    I remember the article on the krejcis bog...just cant find the mag it's in.

8. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Man you are me freakin hero! That is the coolest thing ive ever seen! Hell ya

9. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice!!! :D :D

You're definately a Trooper!!!!
    Most of us would've just loaded the rig on the trailer after motor problems. ;)

10. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Nice work, I would of never atempted a field repair like that, great story.

11. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

That´s a really cool story :cool1: Most people I know would have just given up and gone home. :)

12. Blazerteam

Blazerteam Newbie

Good story :saweet: And you rock.....

13. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Moutain explorer is a true Maniac. You could get yourself on any top fuel drag team in the country. It's about the same, they teardown and rebuild the engines in the pits, so do you. Just need to pick up the pace a little! :D

I guess next time you need to pack a crank and bearing set in your spare parts box next time you head out!!

Excellent tale of carnage and overcoming the carnage to make more bog runs. Keep them coming......

14. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Allen
    You are a stud glad that my old truck had a hand in helping you out.

15. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Save time and trouble, pack a spare running engine. We know you have a few laying around.

You Sir are a God! Since day one on this board I have loved reading your post. Most days you make my life seem boring.

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I woulda said **** this!

Your much more ambitious than I Alan!--If I spun bearings on my motor,I would have just loaded it on the trailer,headed for the beer tent,and watched the other trucks get thrashed!...I hate doing an engine swap in my garage,with all the tools,hoists,etc--no way would I want to do it in the dirt and outside!(especially if it meant missing the races to boot!)..

Looks like a good time there!--I like that cab-over truck,and the tandem axle hearse!--I've seen a 71 suburban with tandem axles like that,but never a hearse!... :crazy:

17. jmd4x4

jmd4x4 1/2 ton status

Well sir I would have to give you a :waytogo:, most people would just have gone home.

Good work

jmd

18. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

You really need to make that Crystelle gal YOUR gal. Jenn would do it for me, but she's already my gal. That and if I didn't make it home there'd be hell to pay. :crazy:

19. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you had a good time, and a lot of work. Cool. :cool1:

20. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree.. that is awsome..
    ya should have rebuilt it under the awning of your motorhome just like the top fueler guys. :grin:
    That way assembly might have been a little cleaner and you woulda gotten an extra week of life out of that engine in the long run. :rotfl: :thumb:
    Awsome story and pics.. i'm always entertained reading your posts. Keep em coming. :cool1: