Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

**PICS** Grand Junction desert wheelin'

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by mrk5, Nov 27, 2004.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

**PICS** Grand Junction desert wheelin\'

Met some fellow CK5ers for the first time today, some of the Grand Junction gang. Irvin(oatsk5) and Dave(gjk5) made it, unfortunately Doug(K5_Nutt) couldn't make it (another Chalet I think).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dave's rig. He got the wheels in the air a couple of times today.

[​IMG]
    Passenger's perspective/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The only damage. Not the first time a dent has been in that door. Irvin did an awesome job spotting us through some tight spots. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (Even if he was in a Jeep /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif)

2. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Re: **PICS** Grand Junction desert wheelin\'

Nope not another chalet...it was a 79 2wd K5...

DW

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Cool pics. We have some washes like that in nevada. They are fun some of them can be hard too. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Awesome pics Scott! The second one is def the best. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Nice pics Scott! I had a blast today, and Irvin did do a hell of a job spotting, I was sure I was sunk in a couple of times and still got out.

That mud was so slick out there I'm thinking about putting an arrow on my steering wheel, I couldn't tell which way I was pointing half the time!

Overall a good run, I was impressed with the old girl /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif not to mention having that much fun less than 2 miles from my house. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

I got some pretty good pics too I think, I'm gonna see if I can figure out how to upload them on my wife's laptop (dial-up /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) instead of waiting til Mon.

6. mrk5

Brian, this was the first time I've wheeled in this type of terrain. I was looking at the pics you posted in the garage, and I was thinking it was real similar. I've never been to Nevada, unless you count a lay over in Vegas for an hour. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Thanks, Nick. How'd you like my body work? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I wish I would have had that Detroit in there already. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Dave, you just have to have a lot of patience. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif I used the laptop and dial-up for those pics. Man I hate being away from dsl. How were the ribs?

7. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark

Good pics. I was cussing I wasn't there with you guys. Work, family in town and the Jimmy in pieces in the garage made for a bad combo. I figured I better not bring the exploder out there and break it and be left with two non working vehicles either. Oh well next time.

Looks like fun. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. mrk5

There'll definitely be a next time. I had a lot of fun, and with my sister living out there I'm sure to be visiting again in the not too distant future.

I did get to meet Doug(K5 Nutt).
    We checked out his Chalet /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif, the first time I'd seen the inside of one; and I took the opportunity to smash Doug's finger with his hood. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

OK sorry it took me so long but here are some of my pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was a good time Scott, I hope to do this again.

Let's not forget to thank Irvin's dad, he helped out too.

[​IMG]

and here's a few more of you:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was thinking about just paying in that mud near the road yesterday, but my truck looked like this:

[​IMG]

and I didn't think that was such a great idea after all.

Definitely let me know when you come out next, maybe Doug can make it too.

I just realized you had to drive back yesterday! How was I-70? I heard Glenwood Canyon was closed, did you have to detour? Hope it wasn't too stressful on the family. Oh yeah, the ribs were great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif!

10. mrk5

Awesome pics. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I will get the others e-mailed to you. I forgot to ask, does your truck have a lift? How much?

The trip home was quite the journey. They had Glenwood Canyon open one lane each way. Normally it's a 6 hour drive and it turned into a 12 hour drive. To get from Dillon to the tunnel took over 3 hours. The roads were slick and it was near white-out. There were about 4 trucks that didn't chain up, so they had traffic messed up. In about the last 1/4 mile there were 4 or 5 cars that couldn't get enough traction. We had to put it in 4wheel drive.

I made two big mistakes. The first was forgetting the radiator cover, so when we were stopped going up to Eisenhower the truck cooled down to about 125*, so we were all in coats. Then I should have gotten gas in Dillion, so I was stressed all the way to the tunnel that we were going to run out of gas.

But, we did make it home in one piece. I was real happy with my 15mon son, he was very patient and didn't get upset about spending 12hrs in the seat.

11. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks, I'll send all the rest I have to you as well. The truck has a 4" lift, Rough Country springs in front and blocks in the rear. I'm hoping to do either new springs in the rear or a shackle flip soon.

Sorry about the return trip, that always sucks but it's even worse with a kid, good thing your boy was cooperative. Glad you guys made it home safe.

12. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

You guys are givin me an ulcer with all these pics. It really kills me to be stuck at work with my Blazer at home awaiting a complete organ transplant. And there you are playing around out in the desert havin fun. Now we've got plenty of snow to play in. Oh well, looks like a good time was had by all /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

sorry it took a while to post the run was great and im glade you had furn that was only a short version of the trial and dispite not runnig well the jeep did ok im suprised there no pics of it stuck def gotta get some mud for it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Sorry about that, didn't get one of you stuck in that ravine. Here's one for you though:

[​IMG]

Thanks again for taking us out there, it was a blast. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. mrk5

LOL, you beat me to it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif