Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*PICS* I killed some snakes with the mower, what kind are they?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Apr 9, 2006.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

So, while mowing some weeds today I hit two snakes that were twisted together. They were a little bigger than golf ball size diameter and about 3 feet long. Anyone know what kind of snakes these are? :confused: I'm in Illinois if it helps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Im thinkin some sort of chicken snake???

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

You may have killed them humping if that's any help

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

oh those look like the BEST kind of snakes.

DEAD ONES! (sorry cam)

5. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

Looks just like a chicken snake to me. perfectly harmless, And perfect for rodent problems.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

If they are (were) chicken snakes, they weren't doing their job... we have mice everywhere! :doah:

7. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Which is exactly why he was there.

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Then you need to go rescue a couple orfaned kittens and raise them to be slayers,,,worked for me, the only mice I have are parts that are no longer assembleable, scattered all over the driveway.:D

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Doyh, yep that was funny quite runnin them over...:doah:

10. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Yah those are chicken snakes. They are fairly common down here, I like to play with them. I had one get caught in a perch trap in my back yard and I cut it loose and let it go. I am not afraid of snakes, unless they suprise me. If they catch me off guard the rules of engagement are shoot first ask questions later. If I see them while far enough away to decifer what they are, then the "good ones" are allowed to go about their business, while the bad ones (rattlers and water mocassins) have the wrath of god brought down on them.

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I've got a couple of them also, but they just eat the dog's food instead of catching mice :doah: .

They (the cats) spent much of last night trying to bang. They couldn't go and hide somewhere to do it though... oh no, they had to follow me around everywhere I went and had to show me what they were doing. Like I care? Then as soon as the one cat would start screaming when the other had her pinned down, the dog would come barking/growling and break it up. I guess she thought they were fighting? :haha: :haha: :haha:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

:haha: I think we have a new sig..... :D

13. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Sound like a sad song for lonely people

You may have killed them humping if thats any help
    Take the old memories down off the shelf
    What did you ever do to earn such disdain
    You walk all alone and you sing the refrain

Oh, Oh ohhh, no one wants to snog on meeeeeeeee

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

YiPe!...SNAKES!!!

I was a reptile buff in my younger days..had lots of turtles,salamanders,snakes,lizards,and toads and frogs where I grew up..used to "grow our own" frogs from polliwogs as kids..

Looks almost like a diamondback rattler,or maybe a Copperhead at first glance..but no rattler or fangs,so I have to say I guess its a "chicken" snake..though I've never seen one like that here!

We only have about 6 types of snakes around here..most common is the "garter" snake,its black with yellow racing stripes in most cases..also have "water" snakes that look more like eels,and I've seen a "Corn" snake,looks like a Boa Constrictor in a way, and I caught a "Milk" snake as a kid,which look nearly identical to the poisonous "Coral" snake,only the ringed color bands are reversed on the milk snake-(and Coral snakes dont live around here)..it gave my parents heart failure when I told them it bit me!..had to bring it to the ER and have a doctor/vet identify it..

A kid I knew found a Copperhead in the street once,he showed it to me while it was dangling off a rake..I about crapped my pants when it hissed at me,and I saw FANGS in its mouth!..:yikes: ..I told him it was poisionous,and he dropped it off the rake and ran,and a passing car ran it over..the drived stopped and backed up,and said she was sorry she'd hit it!..but I said "not to worry,it was a poisionous Copperhead snake!..probably did us a favor!..

We have a few "Hog Nosed" snakes,but they are rare to see anymore..I did see one Water Mocasin in my old hometown not far from NH,and supposedly they dont live this far north,but I know it was a legit sighting..my friends dad , a cop,shot it with his police .38 caliper revolver,and it was 6' long,had huge fangs..(I was with him when he had to shoot a snapping turtle that bit a little girl at a pond across the street from his house ,and would not let go too!)...

Diamondback Rattlers have been found in the Blue Hill reservastion not far from here too...hope I never see any of them in MY yard!!..if I do,the weedwhacker or mower is getting fired up...MULLCHH!!!!!:eek1:

15. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

snakes....

that black and red cat is one awesome looking cat

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Plenty in stock!...

We have 3 or 4 of those "red/black cats that are in the group of 15+
    feral strays my mom feeds here..Want one??..:wink1: ..

One of those cats in the "gang" is a mottled multi-colored thing that looks like a stained carpet!..had more people want it,but they all wont come closer than 10' away from you...

P.S. snakes dont stand a chance around my yard much since those cats came around..they play with any snakes for a few minutes,flipping them up in the air,chasing them around..then CHOMP!..right behind the head..I guess they DO taste like chicken!!..maybe they should make "Snake" flavored cat food!..and why isn't there a "Mouse" flavored cat food??..:confused:
    :crazy:

17. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

[​IMG]
    does it look like this(cant see the pic at work)
    we called these goper snakes,(their actual name) they look and act like rattlers

18. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looking at how fat it was and it's markings, I thought it may be a copperhead also. It's eyes and its head gave it away that it's not. I'm gonna post up some pics of the cottonmouths that me and my friend catch around here in the summers. Last year, we snared one that was at least four feet and as thick as my forearm. It took like 30 minutes for him to tire out enough that I felt comfortable grabbing him behind his head and getting some cool as pics. We seem to have found a breeding ground for them in one of our local creeks. One night, we saw at least 30-40 snakes of which at least ten were cottonmouths for sure.

19. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Nope, in my pic the snake is more of a copper color with faint black rings and is more just one color instead of two distinct colors.

20. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya i just saw it, my bad
    we have alot of gopher snakes where i grew up, people kill them all the time cause they think they are rattlers
    it sucks cause they are kick ass snakes