Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

!! PICS !! My latest fabrication work....

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Greg72, May 28, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

OK, for you "real" fabricators....cut me some slack! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I'm just starting out so these represent what my limited skills will allow for now.

Here are some spring perches I built over the weekend for my 14BFF swap.

http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albur18

Enjoy!

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

looks slick to me! Is this going in the '72 or the eternal build-up frame monster/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. Greg72

Those go on the '72. I've got to get things going for BlazerFest....

I think I'm going to get a G30 (van) axle for the "spare" frame. Might as well get the proper track width without spacers if I can.

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Look's good Greg.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

They look good! I made some like that but I didn't angle the bottom...I just left it square...but I guess you wouldn't be able to get them over the axle tube. I added about 1/2" of lift when I made mine. I used a hole saw (not fun!) to cut the hole. I used a 3.5" hole saw and did them both at once to make it easier.

How are you going to do the spring plates? I left the spring perch symetrical but drilled the center pin holes 1" forward (to move the axle back 1"). Movving your center pin back 2" might move the center pin out from under the u-bolt plate?

6. Greg72

Dan,

I've ordered the Tuff Country "reversal U-Bolt" kit, so I'll have to take a look at what I end up with once that arrives.......

Probably some more head-scratching before all is said and done! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I did go out on my lunch break and buy a nice floorstanding drill press and drillbit set. Now I can at least make "nice" holes in metal.....one step at a time. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

So you have had the bolts that point down?...Those suck.

I used the stock 3/4-ton u-bolt plates...I had to drill a hole in them where for the end of the center pin. I could have gone maybe 1/2" more but I think that moving it back 1" is the right ammount for my truck.

By the end of the summer it won't matter anyway...
    I am going to put in the 63" leaves and mount them so the springs will be moved back and the center pin will be at the center line of the axle.