Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pic's of 73-up leaf springs

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Triaged, May 17, 2004.

1. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Pic\'s of 73-up leaf springs

I finally got a digital camera (a Canon A75 /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif)

I moved the spring hanger forward under the body mount by about 1.75" (the spacing of the body mount to spring hanger rivit holes). I then made my own shackles that were 5" center to center out of some 3/8" hot rolled steel. The springs (4" Tough Country EZ-Rides for a 73-up k5 from ORD) gave me a bit more lift then I wanted so I am going to make another shackle that is more like 4.25-4.5" long and hope the springs sag out some.

I still need to put in a reinforcing bracket from the frame to the un-used spring hanger bolt...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Re: Pic\'s of 73-up leaf springs

nice work, /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    have you driven it yet...nice ride, any roll over etc.

I want to do the same and want to know if a anti-sway bar is needed..

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It dives ALOT more on stopping then it did before (my old rancho springs were 720# and the new ones are 295# /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif). It also lifts more when accelerating. Both of these combined with no steering correction and it sucks to say the least. I got a 4" steering arm for the D44 but won't get a chance to put it on because I got a D60. The other problem I have is that I only have about 2" of droop travel before the shocks limit out...I noticed it handling funny on the way to Calico...but noticed when I got there it was because I had a rear shock hanging free /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Everything else is a plus! It rides ALOT better then it used to (the front suspension actually moves when I go over bumps!), I don't notice much more body roll on corners (I don't really think I need a swaybar which is a good thing for when I out in crossover).

I think with some new shocks/mounts and the raised steering arm it would be awesome.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

So what function does the bungee cord play in your new suspension setup? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

-- A

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So what function does the bungee cord play in your new suspension setup? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

-- A

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my steering stabilizer /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I'd give it a while before changing the shackles. I bet those softer springs will sag quite a bit. We put a 4 inch lift on my buddy's '86 Jimmy a little over a year ago, and it's sagged almost an inch already! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

That gives me some hope...I would rather not have to make shorter shackles. I was even thinking of removing a leaf from them /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif.

I'll leave them alown for a while and see how it turns out.

8. crawford

crawford 1/2 ton status

Are those those springs the 52" rear springs they've been talking about in the general section or are they just front springs from a '73+? I was wondering if the 52" rear spring setup can be done with out 1st gen rigs?

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

They are "just" 73+ front lift springs. After looking at the different measurements I desided that the 73+ springs would be the best way to go for the ammount of work involved.

1st gen springs are about 43" while 73+ springs are about 45". Both have a centered pin (as well as the 52's).

73+ trucks have the front spring hanger offsed rearward of the front body mount to start with (ours are centered under the body mount). All they have to do is offset the hanger to the front of the body mount and 52" springs will fit. We would have to make a new front spring hanger moved forward quite a bit that would no longer be under the body mount to fit the 52's (and I would think they would be all the way under the front bumper and hinder approach angle).

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

69 up are techniclaly 44"

68-older are different

good luck