Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics of bobbed k5's please...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Jul 3, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Pics of bobbed k5\'s please...

I have to bob the rear of my k5 due to a little rust problem... does anyone have pics of this...

PLEASE!!!

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: Pics of bobbed k5\'s please...

what kinda bob job you going for? just hacking it off and using flat plat like dblazer and others have done, or just bring the stock tail lights and tail gate up to the fender well.??

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

i need to lose the rear part from the rear fender well to the back... from the trim level down...

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Well, me being the gear head, custom fab, too dumb to tell him self NO kinda person. I would try to reinstall the tail gate and stock corner set up as far farword as you can. so a c-channel ( or tube )bumper is right at the spring hangers. then hack the fenderwell so it is flat witht he top part. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

It's alot of work, but thats just me.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

what 55 said looks cool on the toys, but it was too much work and too much weight for me. I kept mine simple and you can see it in my webshots signature if you'd like.

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

check out DBLAZER's pics...do a search on him...his rig is pretty much extremely bobbed and stripped as far as the bed is concerned

Later

7. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

like this?

theres more, just click below...

8. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

I am planning on cutting out my fenders and bed quite a bit. After you cut up that high did you just leave the metal as is or did you weld the two pieces together to kind of make a nicer edge? I dont know if after I cut mine off real high that I shoud just leave the metal as is or try to some how weld the two pieces of metal back together to make a better edge. Its hard to describe but I hope you kinda know what I'm talkin about /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

9. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Maybe this will help.... Finished product

10. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

i left the two edges open but the rub rails close that hole up nicely. if i hadn't built the exo-cage then i would have done something similar to what you are thinking about doing.

on the other hand...what D has done is much simpler, durable, and purposeful.

11. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

How did you make the rub rails? What are they made of and how did you attatch them?

12. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, I think I have decided to bob my Jimmy. I have a major rust problem, so much so that I am looking at replacing the entire rear section from the wheelwell back to the end of the floor. I also have to get new side pillars, and both cross braces too. My plan is to chop the entire back of the truck straight across much like MTpockets did. Then remove the rearmost section from my donor pickup truck, and weld it on the Jimmy again. Concievably, the rear will resemble a stock Jimmy, but be 12" shorter. I am also ditching the tailgate, and the tire rack/ carrier, in favor of a prerunner mount like UAV. As for the gas tank, the plan so far is to attempt to move the tank forward to where the frame raises up. My reasoning is such... I have to do this much work anyways, and if anytime in the foreseeable future I will ever want to bob it... when better?
    So, should be starting this job in the next week or so. I will be taking lots of pics, so will keep everyone updated. Might have to go for one last wheeling trip with it this Sunday... hmmm

Mike

13. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

hey mtpockets!!!

That's exactly what i wanna do to the back.. how did you do it.. what is making that round looking edge???

14. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

do you have a link to see that ord snorkel ????? i been lookin for one thatll bolt to a carb. thnx and oh, nice rig!