Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics of cut rocker boxes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, Apr 6, 2003.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

The next piece of metal to be lost to evolution is the rocker boxes.

I tried a search and got nothing. Are there any pics (mounting, cut lines, etc) of cut rockers?

or what did you do to cut yours and what were he problem areas/what would you have done differently?

2. naranja72

naranja72 1/2 ton status

zakk:
    This company used to advertise on coloradoK5. Don't know if this is your ultimate goal or not, but this is a link for some rock sliders. rock slider link
    hope this helps

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i'm going to build my own, but i want to cut out my rockers. thanks anyway.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Zakk,

You may have to go do a "doubletake" on that link.....

The rockers ARE cut out, and the slider is welded in where it used to be. Pretty slick! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

ah, I see the orange (Butch's?) truck. i must have missed that pic /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I have saved a bunch of pics from webshots and posted pics, on cutting out the rockers and welding the new 3x3 tubes in. I'm not at home, I will hunt them up and email you a few if I can find them.
    One pic has actual cut marks and several before and afters. I done a search on rock sliders and I can't find my post from about 2-3 months back. Someone posted the link to the webshots in that thread.
    We need the person that done the rockers to do a write-up on how he got the marks and fitting then make it a sticky in the members tech write ups /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. jjlaughner

I had to read the first couple lines of your bio twice to figure out your joking /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. jjlaughner

Hey you have no email, PM me your email or I will see if I can get these uploaded to my server then post for everyone to see /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. jjlaughner

Got the pics uploaded, I scammed these from several places for my own use with my project, so here ya go
    take a look

10. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Serious GOOD WORK! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks for the help and all those pics... SICK!!!

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

saving this post

12. jjlaughner

some of my favorites
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Zakk,

I'f you're gonna spend most of your time in the rocks, I 'd really recommend going significantly higher with your "fab'd" rockers. So far, out of the 3 trucks I've done this way, all of us swear by this mod... Dealing w/no doors - or making new doors is a bummer, it'll pay off with a lot more clearance where you need it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Mine are cut to give about 6" more clearance than the old rocker. I think DJ's are about 3" higher! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The only bummer is that gettin' in/out is a little tougher.

Marv

14. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

that is the problem. I think i still want doors for the time being and Rita is 4"10.75" (she fights for those quarter inches /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ) and getting in now is a chore, most of the time i lift her up into the rig. She is on every wheeling trip, so keeping the misses happy is important.

I love the look of your sliders Marv, but that is a tall ledge to jump off of. It is my #1 choice, but I want to see if there is any other option that would be decent to that option.

15. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    The next piece of metal to be lost to evolution is the rocker boxes.

I tried a search and got nothing. Are there any pics (mounting, cut lines, etc) of cut rockers?

or what did you do to cut yours and what were he problem areas/what would you have done differently?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Did somebody add rocker boxes to your truck Zakk?
    I have seen a 76 with a rocker box but they are the same floor as the 73-75 full verts that needed the rocker boxes to add suport for lack of roof. for some reason some 76's did end up with them even though they didn't need them. By 77 all rocker boxes were gone.

17. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

perhaps my terminology was wrong. the metal under my door is rotting and it is a matter of time before it catches on something. wondering how to remove it.

18. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    perhaps my terminology was wrong. the metal under my door is rotting and it is a matter of time before it catches on something. wondering how to remove it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    PLASMA CUTTER! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I set mine a little lower then most. THe step area of the rocker is still there and I cut it where was the exposed rocker that visiable with the door closed. I'll try to find a picture on my home machine so you can see.

19. KAS

KAS 1/2 ton status

Some of these rocker pictures look familiar!
    Zakk, if you have any questions about how we do ours, feel free to call us. We'd be happy fill you in on how Tim does his....if that's the way you plan on going.
    Good Luck!
    Whichever way you paln to do yours, I would HIGHLY recommend a step for Rita. I'm short also and getting in and out of Tim's K5 would be damn near impossible if it weren't for the step...Rita will thank you! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    and Rita is 4"10.75" (she fights for those quarter inches )

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif...

Tell Rita she can still make it!.... I'm 5' 4.25"... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Marv