Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics of Dana 60 cover with bearing preloads

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85m1009, Jan 11, 2002.

1. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Someone inquired for pictures of the bearing preload setup on my covers. I can not find the post. So here are some pics of my Dana 60 covers with the preloads installed. http://www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com/d60preloadout.jpg

<font color=green>Steve Frisbie</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com>www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com</a>

2. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That looks great. I can't wait to get mine.Thanks again for making such great stuff Steve.

I may be slow, but I sure am fat!

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

That was me (or at least one of the requests was me). Thanks for the pics, nice and simple, just like you explained. I have another question, have you thought about doing something to protect the bottom bolts? They tend to get bashed up pretty bad, requiring vice grips for removal and finding a replacement. I picked up 10 or so last week from a junkyard in anticipation of starting to use this thing.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Not quite sure which bolts you are referring to. The cover bolts are pretty much put out of harms way with the skid plate installed. It would be hard to hang up on one of the cover bolts.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com>www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, I was talking about the bottom cover bolts. I guess the little center ramp is enough to keep the bolts out of harms way? I was thinking of a 3/8" plate welded to the bottom of the cover with holes to countersink the bolt heads, sort of like the rock rings but just protecting the bottom 4-5 bolts (depending on cover). It would be easy enough to add that after receiving it (not at all like the complexity to build it and get it right) but I thought it might be a good improvement. Maybe I'm just going over-board.

Also, I've been thinking about shaving the C14 (and maybe the D60 too). Do you see a problem with your covers and a shaved pig? Looks like the skid/ramp might be a bit of a pain but the lower edge could be cut off and a flat plate welded on to fill the missing bottom of the ramp. Also thinking that cutting the cover 1/16 or so shorter than the pig would keep the cover safe from damage on a hard drag.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

6. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

How do you set the pre-load on those? Im realy interested in building those for my D60and14
    and would it work on a D44?

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

7. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

There are set screws that tighten down against the bearing cap. You only tighten them to 10-15 ft/lbs, so as not to induce distorting of the cap. The bolts prevent the caps from expanding out allowing the races to spin. I can put them in any application of covers. The ff14 is the hardest since there is a bolt in the center of the bearing cap that retains the spanner adjustment.

8. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

You could shave the bottom edge off if needed. The flange is constructed from 1/4'' plate as well as the skid plate. I have yet to peel the cover away from the housing on my 12 bolt. If you trimmed the lower edge back, I don't think you would have to fill in the gap with anything but weld. We fill the triangle portion on each side with weld as far inside as possible. There shouldn't be much of a gap left.