Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics of destinbeachman's soft top

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Yukon Jack, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Here are pics of the member destinbeachman's soft top that he sent me to host for him. I believe it is a STC FastTrack

He states:

The first pic shows my cage and why it accomodates the top - the main hoop isn't nearly as wide as the body of the truck. The rest of the pics show the steps needed to raise the top. From just fastening the front and back, which gives you the safari, moving on to zipping the sides on(it's important to undo the tensioner brackets until everything is on or you'll have a hell of a time with the zippers). I don't even hook the bottom of the side windows into the channel until I have the front window frames in. I put the front of the frames into the brackets bolted to the windshield header and leave the back loose to make it easier to stretch the top over and into the top channel of the frames. Then I put the frame posts into the holes in the bedside and the first top bow. I pull about 3 inches of the top material back out of the channel and tuck the leading (unsewn) edge of the side window underneath it and into the channel followed by the few inches I pulled out before. You can see that this wraps over the small tucked piece tightly and keeps it from flapping. I then pull the side windows down and hook the bottom edge into it's channel on both sides of the truck, push the leading window edge into it's channel, snap it around to the inside of the frame and then reach into the back of the truck and pull the tensioning brackets into place and that's it, except for zipping the back window into place. Looks pretty good. One of the pics shows the clearance of the cage on the inside and another shows how the windows don't quite cover the entire window frame-the frame outline is square and the windows are curved and I just can't get it to fill it in. I had to bend the window frames' top rod down and outboard about 3/8ths of an inch to get the material to seal against the glass on both sides and I ended up moving the rearmost bow attaching bracket 2 inches further aft than the factory hardtops holes that it was supposed to mount into. That puts adequate tension on the rear of the top to tighten it up just fine. Your results may vary. I like the top more now than I did when I first got it, probably cause it goes up much quicker now and it does look really nice. Gives a sorta modern, cleaned-up look to the old rigs. If anyone has any questions or needs some other pics just let me know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BIGEARL

BIGEARL Registered Member

great post!! This will help a ton...

thanks, Nate

3. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Destinbeachman, I got a question from a guy who has a fasttrac on his 72, and he said he has the gap you show's in the pic between the top and the side windows. His top leaks like a siv! He was wondering if you had come up with any ideas to remedy this. STC says he installed wrong but he says it is installed right.

4. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I got the same top on mine with a gap between the window (tiny bit) and it doesn't leak...unless you spray a hose right at it :laugh:

Brian

5. Canadian Trailblazer

Canadian Trailblazer Registered Member

I have the STC Fastrac top in black vinyl. I attached dome snaps to top and side to keep the sides tucked under. I'll try and find a pic if you need one. This has helped keep leakage to a minimum. It is a soft top though, so...

P.S. Good write up and pics!

6. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

Yukon Jack,I have two suggestions that will help.First thing is to bend the top window frame rod at the front where it goes into the tab on the windshield frame.Mine is now bent so that the very end(where it turns 90 degrees)turns up,which lowers the rest of the rod by about 3/8s of an inch.This lowers the fabric enough so that the window will seal against it quite well and it also brings the vertical frame rod slightly closer towards the rear edge of the window,tightening the gap up that you see in the pics.The second thing is to elongate the slot in the window frame where the wingnut runs through it by about a 1/4 inch and slightly bend the lower end of the vertical frame rod to bring the leading edge of the side curtain/window fabric that much closer to the trailing edge of the window glass.By fiddling with the frame rods like this he should be able to close up the gap at the corner of the window.-Allen