Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics of Family Cage for Keiths 79

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Depdog, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Here are some under construction pics of the family cage we are building for Keiths 79 K5. Mine will be very similiar to this (using him for a guinea pig! j/k Keith)

For you flamers out there, it is by no means done, I have not put in braces or handles. This is just the main part of the rear cage.

http://community.webshots.com/album/41626776IWYiQe

Also, there are two weld pics in this album, please take a look at them and give me your opinion on which style looks better.

Thanks
    Depdog /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Cage looks good! For the welds I'd use continuous where ever you can and the series of tack for any vertical welding. If all the welding will be done without the cage attached to the truck I'd roll and position the cage so you could do the continuous welding everywhere. You'll get the necessary penetration using the series of tacks if you're welding uphand...maybe not enough penetration in any other position though.

Rene

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

sweet pics

and for the weld pics, I think the small spot welds is better, you can see the tubing had started to discolor..IE it was hot, started to turn purple and blue.

the continous weld wasn't as hot, or had as much penatration.

4. Depdog

Thanks for the comments people, keep them coming. On the weld deal, it was a purly looks thing. I am making sure of the penetration on them.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Both welds look to have been wire brushed...which removes the surface blueing.

If anything I'd turn the voltage up a bit more and turn the wire down a little. This will flatten out your weld a bit...

Rene

6. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Looks really good. Never seen a full "x" in a family cage, but I like it. Should be plenty strong. You gonna tie it into the frame with plates between the body? What about the cab?

BIGJ

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Thanks rene, I went back and looked at the pics and yes a continous weld would be better for strength wise, and like you said, if he bumps up the heat that weld would be perfect./forums/images/icons/cool.gif.

Anyone want to bend up a cage for the Willy's??/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

So next weekend you will be out to do mine too, right? Thats looks sweet, very custom.

PS I think there is an un-written "no flaming" policy in effect.

9. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Cage looks pretty sweet. What type of a tube/pipe bender are you using?
    As for the welds, you don't want my opinion, I don't know sh*t about welding ..... yet.

Bet the wife loves the overspray marks on the deck /forums/images/icons/grin.gif , were those headers?

10. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

look a little closer that looks like a trailer, not a deck.

Dep cage looks great, hope keith never has to use it. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

11. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I'd buy that one from you Dep. You already have it on the trailer I'd meat you half way to NM and bring cash ;-)

12. Depdog

Make me an offer /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I have more tubing, Keith, who is Keith????

Yep, its on a trailer, matter of fact, thats Keiths trailor. The tubing is sitting on mine /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

The bender is this one www.off-road.com/chevy/vansant/bender.html

Depdog

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

That cage looks really good. I use the same model 3 bender. I mounted it to some 2" square tubing and run it off my receiver hitch on my blazer... mobile bending /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I got wood !! You must drink the same beer I do. I built that same cage in my minds eye already. Looks killer !!! I think the continuous weld looks the best. I'm not a welder but it looks the better of the two. The cage is BADASS !!
    Jim

15. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Man it took all day to get it too. Dep added the X with out me but I new he would cheat me right I mean treat me right /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I really like it. We still will be adding the gussets and handles to get it perfect. We will have more pictures when installed.

So any orders /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

16. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Man, wish my tube welds looked that good. I know mine are strong (had to cut a couple out) but they sure look rough. Tube has just about the worst of everything with regard to welding...

Like I posted on PBB, only think I would do is add some sort of kicker type tube that triangulates front to rear just to make sure the cage doesn't fold back. Probably not needed, in fact, I'm debating on similar issues (like just how much is required and where) for my cage right now.

17. Depdog

Oh I have quite a few gussets and triangulated pieces to put in yet, some will act as handles as well. This is also the starting point for my cage, although I am going to do a few things different and mine will have the full cage to the front added a little quicker than his.

Thanks for the comments and compliments.

18. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

looks great dep...but i have one question-

since keith now has a "family" cage, does this mean his "family" will now be in his blazer?? LOL and i dont mean ryan, i mean the rest of his family!!

anyways, are there confirmed dates for the dixie run yet, and if so can i sign up at southerns website???
    i have a lot to do to get ready, but we should be ready to run by october! DISREGARD_____READ OTHER POST
    thanks rob

19. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Cool beans!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

20. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Looks good. So is that a Renagade only design?