Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics of hi-steer vs. crossover on 10bolt/D44 wanted, whats the diff?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Apr 1, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

just what is says... whats the difference between hi-steer and crossover steering on 10bolt and Dana44? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Mainly I have a 10bolt front axle, non-flatop passenger side and I need to find a tierod, just curious about hy-steer and crossover, parts needed, and prices /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

cross over steering: instead of the draglink going to from the box to the driver side kunckle is goes from the box to the pass side knuckle.

high steer: the tierod is moved from stock position to over the leaf springs.

3. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

If you do Crossover, you need a passenger side flat top knuckle and an arm to bolt to it. This will allow you to run your draglink from your 2WD box to the passenger side. If you run high steer you need a flat top knuckle on both passenger and drivers side with an arm on both. The passneger arm will have 2 holes and the drivers side will have only one. Your draglink goes form your 2WD box to the passenger side and you tie rod is now relocated to above your springs form the passenger to drivers top knuckles.

A basic list of things you need.

2wd Steering Boc or Sector shaft
    Dropped Pitman arm from a late 70's Ford truck or Bronco(tapered to fit GM TRE)
    Flat top knuckles
    steering arms for passneger side and drivers side
    New draglink
    New tierod
    Possible mods to your engine crossmember

i think that is about it. I'm sure I missed something and I'm sure someone else will chime in on it.

One thing to consider is how long you will be keeping your 10 bolts'. I KNEW I wa going to get a Dana 60 so i decided to wait untill I got one before I did any mods to the sterring. Sure it sucked on the trail but I wasn't going to spend any money on an axle i wasn't going to keep. When I finally took the 10 bolt out. it was THRASHED. Ball joints were bad, bearings were bad, it was just tore up. But I saved my money and now have crossover high steer with hydor assist on my 60.

Just food for thought.

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

what makes hi-steer any better then stock? just clearance??

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

YUP!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what makes hi-steer any better then stock? just clearance??

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez i smacked the heck outta mine the other weekend, hit a big rock i didn't see, pushed it all the way into the steering stabilizer and bent that too /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Hooked a chain to it and pulled it back out though. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif