Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics of jerry can holder on rear bumper

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Oct 11, 2000.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I think someone was asking about how I mounted jerry cans to my rear bumper, I bought a metal 2-can carrier from americanvan.com and welded (OK Tim welded it) it to my bumper sitting on top of 2" angle to form a base. I also cut the frame 3" to tuck the bumper in real close, I also have enough room for a 38" tire on the carrier that is why it isn't in closer. oh yeah, and the tire mount is raked back 10 degrees for a closer fit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

2. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

i like how you put your licence plate on there to, looks sweet steve. but how do you put your tailgate down?

<font color=red>SMP</font color=red>

3. CK5

The part that has the jerry cans and tire swings out to the side, then you put the tail gate down.

[​IMG]

4. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

looks good. But man u have a really clean garage

Well as it gose it gose and under it rolls heavey rubber bouncing on a head.
    (hey i'm a poet)

5. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

The holder looks great. Much better and more sturdy than the chincy little thing KMA puts on. Did you take off the D-rings?

go heavy or go home

6. CK5

I have the shackle mounts now that allow you to remove the shackles when not in use.

[​IMG]

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

A few questions as I'm currently designing a bumper. Did you run the D ring mounts thru the bumper or just butt them up and weld them? How did you do your latch and hinge? Any possibility of closer pics of that? I love the 2 can holder, might have to research amerivan. Oh yeah one more, what size tubing is the main bumper? I'm using 3x5x1/4 Thanks.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blaze- 350/350/203, 14B w/detroit, D44, 4.11s, 4" susp, 36" TSL

8. CK5

I believe the shackle mounts are butted up and welded, the latch works with a pin surrounded by a spring that fits into a hole in the bumper, it also has a small plate in the shape of a C that keeps it from coming out. I might have to draw you a pic, because pics of a black bumper don't always come out that good. The main bumper is 3x5 - 3/16".

[​IMG]

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

10. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Thank you, Steve for posting this. I was the person who requested the pics and am hoping to get a scanner soon so I can post the bumper/tire carrier I built.C-ya.

blazen91

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Great, I don't think I'll need the drawing but someone else might. We actually use something very similar at work for outrigger pins. I do have a question about your hinges though. Do they have bushings and did you make them or are they an order only part? Do you have any idea where to get these? And does your bumper sag at all when it's unpinned and swung away. I guess do you have to lift it up when you swing it back into place?

Thanks, if you couldn't tell I really like your design and some points are a lot better than my own. I was flipping back and forth on the hinge thing. One pipe inside another was a first thought, but it would be really difficult to obtain the tight tolerance needed to prevent sag and not have it lock up over time.

On another note, I see that americanvan.com has a 3 jerry can holder as well as the two but no pic. Do you know offhand if that one puts them all side by side? I thought of using 2 for fuel and then painting the third a different color and using it for water. Good idea or not?

Thanks for any input you can give. It's all appreciated greatly.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

12. CK5

Currently, the swing arm has a 1" bolt that fits into a 1" ID pipe that is in the bumper, I may go to a bearing assembly (I think www.rockstomper.com has these) in the future, one pro to the bolt is that I can take the swing arm off for trips to Moab where I need extreme departure angles, I just throw the spare in the back. It sags just a little, I have to lift it up about a 1/4" is all. You would have to call americanvan.com about the 3 can carrier, my guess is that it is 3 in a row. I think 2 cans, one for gas and one with a water/antifreeze mixture would be fine, 2 is pushing the weight issue as it is.

[​IMG]

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks Steve

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok