Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics of my 1985 K5 Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tungsten, Dec 28, 2003.

1. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

Well I finally got to bring the K5 back to Tennessee after the holidays. As I had stated in a previous thread, the K5 belonged to my late grandfather and I more or less inherited it after he passed away. My intention is to restore it to as close to new condition as I can over the course of 2004.

The Blazer needs a lot of attention so this will likely be a gradual restoration project. The body has rust in all of the characteristic places typical to these vintage vehicles. The engine is a tired old 305 that will probably be replaced with a 350 sometime late in the restoration.

So far I've compiled a fairly lengthy Excel spreadsheet of the parts needed to address the body problems and the tally is up to about $800 now including new sliding side windows and rear glass (both tinted of course) and all new weatherstripping for all doors / windows / topper.

Anyway, here are two pics. One is a before pic as the Blazer sat on December 26th and the other is an after pic as it sits right now in my driveway. As you can see, I've pulled the running boards and the chrome vent-visors off and have partially removed the window tint from one of the rear side windows. I ran out of razor blades and paint thinner while doing that, so I'll have to finish it up over the next few days.

It's a diamond in the rough, but it carries a lot of sentimental value to me and I'm proud to own it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i like it!! looks like a nice clean stocker blazer...lots of potential!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I see you got rid of the running boards, good choice! I would pull that front air dam off if your going to wheel it also before you tear it up. I'm saving all my stock parts incase I want to put my truck back to stock and I pulled the front air dam off so I didn't bust it up anymore than it had to be. At this point though i'll be putting a new one on if I ever put it back to stock.

4. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i like it!! looks like a nice clean stocker blazer...lots of potential!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I see you got rid of the running boards, good choice! I would pull that front air dam off if your going to wheel it also before you tear it up. I'm saving all my stock parts incase I want to put my truck back to stock and I pulled the front air dam off so I didn't bust it up anymore than it had to be. At this point though i'll be putting a new one on if I ever put it back to stock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the running boards had to go. I wasn't real fond of how they were mounted (screws and brackets) and summarily found out that the rocker panels had rusted to pieces from underneath where the screws were driven through them. I'll definitely be sectioning out that part of the body and replacing it with new metal.

I won't be doing any wheeling with this one. It's got too much sentimental value for me to risk ruining it with an unfortunate rollover or slide into a tree. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Time to start ordering some of those replacement body panels! As soon as I get all of my parts gathered and the cold / inclimate weather passes, I am going to have the cancer cut out and a new coat of white enamel sprayed onto it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Where was it? loooked awfully flat like Ohio.

To bad you didn't get this a few months ago. Keith just sold a darn near perfect 88 tub with clean gray interrior and ZERO rust. Could have solved your rust problems in a weekend.

7. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Where was it? loooked awfully flat like Ohio.

To bad you didn't get this a few months ago. Keith just sold a darn near perfect 88 tub with clean gray interrior and ZERO rust. Could have solved your rust problems in a weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

It came from Kentucky. The first pic, marked "Before", was taken on my inlaws' farm just across the river from Illinois.

8. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

I've made some changes to my web server so that people can't pimp my bandwidth for their own gain. That said, the previous pictures won't work anymore so here they are again but hosted in a folder that lets me share them off-site. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Before...
    [​IMG]

After...
    [​IMG]

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]
    Here's my 85' 2 days after I lifted it. Looks like you are starting out with a cleaner truck than I did. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Good for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

uhhh...gee..that truck looks pretty dang clean right there in that pic if ya ask me /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

Looks good! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif What is it with those running boards? When I bought my '85 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif from my Uncle, it had those same ones, except mine had running lights in the side of them /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif...
    They were the first thing to go also.

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    uhhh...gee..that truck looks pretty dang clean right there in that pic if ya ask me /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    My interior was and still is pretty rough and the paint isn't all that great either.

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

godamn i love ur icon!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. rjfguitar

nice ass! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I thought that NEVRENUF had a cool avatar but yours is way better - SWEET !!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    She is HOT !

16. rjfguitar

blazer wheels, please make another post, a few more posts. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. The paint looks worse in person, trust me. My grandfather had use a white Krylon spray-bomb to touch up a few areas here and there so it's got this weird mottled appearance when you look at the truck up close. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'm going to post more pics of the rust areas and such in my private photo gallery soon and will link them here so you guys can see how it really looks up close and in person. It needs a little TLC for sure.

Thankfully the interior is in pretty good shape. New carpet, seats recently recovered, etc. Just needs new door panels.

18. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

New Steering Wheel

I picked up a newer model steering wheel last week and finally got around to installing it in the K5 today. Here's a before and after pic:

[​IMG]

A simple 10 minute job and the use of a steering wheel puller from Autozone. Well worth the effort, in my opinion. The newer wheel is a lot beefier and a little smaller in outside diameter.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

My 87 had those also wife wouldn't let me take them off because "its too hard to get in the truck with out them!". They got "clearenced" the first time I took it out on the trail. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

Re: New Steering Wheel

i got that steering wheel to but its fricken missing all the horn cap peices to hold it on..wish i could get a hold of some id really liek to put the wheel on there! i got it from my cousin he picked up from a yard someplace