Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pics of my '73 C20

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by beater_k20, Oct 28, 2005.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

here she is shortly after coming home... $50 invested at this point...
    [​IMG]
    gutted the interior, and took the bed off, it was a little rusty. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    $50 junkyard score...
    [​IMG]
    installed. had to modify the crossmembers under the bed a bit to get it to sit level ont he frame.
    [​IMG]
    interior before and after crush bar. the seat is from the 9C1 Caprice i scored for $200, and stripped for the LT1/4L60E/Disc braked 10 bolt. the shifter is a derby specific shifter, which has a pin to prevent it from going into park. drive to reverse, just pull or push on the shifter, no worries of accidentally finding park. the crush bar is built from 2 x 4 x 1/4 wall steel tubing, tied directly to the frame at the back of the cab, and down the kick panels, and another piece between the door posts and the frame. not going to move any time soon...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

unfortunately i dont have any pics of it after it was painted up and straight. went for a solid black truck, with only my number (28) on the doors in white, a sponsor down one bedside, and the words "Back In Black" across the tailgate. truck looked VERY mean sitting on the trailer. when i pulled into the venue and fired it to back it off the trailer, a small crowd gathered to see what i had. fortunately, my pipes were short enough, and the holes in the hood were tight enough that you really couldnt see down inside to see that it was just a stock 305 with a set of stacks on it, and i threw my jacket over my shifter, my helmet (Black Simpson Bandit) covered the switch panel nicely as well. looked like i really had a built machine, in reality, it was pretty basic.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Think I would have went with a flat bed.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

just wait... rules wouldnt allow a flat bed...

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the headers installed, hood trimmed to clear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

and the aftermath...

not so bad huh?
    [​IMG]
    guess again...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    when i cut the wires that were holding the hood closed, the passenger side fender skin fell off...
    [​IMG]
    checking out the carnage...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the clearance between the water pump and the radiator... or lack thereof. :doah: and yes, there is a fan attached to it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

i have since stripped the front clip, and the passenger door off of it as they were too bad to fix. also tossing the radiator, and putting another TH350 in as this one is toast. the bed may get straightened with a loader, or replaced. i found a Ford bed that's been sitting behind a bodyshop for a while, maybe i'll try that. they seem pretty good on stock trucks, dont see why it wouldnt work on my tank too. BTW, the frame is 100% straight, not a kink anywhere. :D went back to back with a '60s F250, cleaned the shackle hanger completely off the frame, also took down a couple 80s 1/2 ton Chevs. :D i cant wait til next derby season!!!

6. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

haha thats cool... now thats a beater :eek1:

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

but its not my namesake.... this is actually the original "Beater_K20" a K20 i bought several years ago, then sold shortly afterwards due to thinning of the fleet, much like the fate of the "new" Beater_K20, which now belongs to CK5 member ProJunkRacing.

IMG_0003.jpg

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

looks like you guys have a "no driver's door" rule. or is it no one wants to be "that guy"?

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

actually, we do have a no drivers door rule. i actually keep the entire drivers side towards the logs if i can. normally in a corner with the front end, sit and wait, pick my shots carefully, and do as much damage as possible with a single hit. the front end damage was done when i came out of the corner, one of the other guys made a loop around me, and the truck that i had just hit, and began pounding on my front end.

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Stay safe, bet you wish you had the snowplow on.

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

well, in December or January i made a deal on a '66 Malibu. and the old girl had to go to make room for the Malibu. the deal on the Malibu fell through, but i stuck with the deal i made with my buddy on the truck ( he takes it, and the front clip to put it back together ). he put it back together, and dropped his motor and tranny in it, and ran it last night.
    [​IMG]

and his brother threw together an 80s 1/2 ton and ran it.
    [​IMG]

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

and the aftermath....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

surprisingly enough, the truck isnt hurt hardly at all. we drove it onto the trailer as it sits. there's a slight tweak at the rear shackle now, the rest of the frame is arrow straight, and the cab is still solid. i'm thinking about taking it back (he offered it to me) and putting another junk 73-80 clip on it, and finding another bed for next year. if only i could find some place to store it. i

after seeing how some of the other trucks were built last night, i've got a few ideas on how to load them up, so if i dont get this one for next year, at least i've got some good ideas on how to build a better mouse trap for next season.

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

BTW, he ended up taking second last night. and boy was he ever puttin on a show. even to the point of leaning out the window after making his last hit (and the other guy's truck had just died) and flailing his arms to get the crowd going. the other guy, a friend of ours, made one more hit, and then both trucks were dead. there wasnt a person in the stands (probably 8,000 people, easy) sitting. everybody was on their feet.

we also tried something a little different this year. one of our friends works for the local news station, and we rigged up an in truck camera. unfortunately he took a hit from the side, hit the camera with his helmet, and unplugged it. got about 2 mins of good across the hood footage though. we're planning on building another truck for September and making better provisions for the in car camera in it, rather than the slap together job we did this time.