Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics of my DP-Built Winch Bumper *UPDATED WITH PICS OF FINISHED BUMPER*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DPI, May 21, 2002.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I just installed my new tube bumper I built, just need to add the D-ring recover points and the winch cable and it will be done. <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Front-Bumper>Here</a> are some pics. The winch is a Ramsey RE12000R and is mounted as close to the frame/body as this style of winch would allow. The actual winch mount is fabbed from 5/8" plate steel and three different sizes of schedule 80 tubing was used for the bumper. The bumper weighs 155 lbs dry and 255 lbs with the loaded winch.

I have to give some credit to BigJ. His bumper design was the inspiration to build mine. His bumper design is awesome and I loved the look. Thanks BigJ !

2. Re: Pics of my DP-Built Winch Bumper

That bumper is sweet - looks like a lot of work paid off for you. What was the rough cost of materials?

3. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Re: Pics of my DP-Built Winch Bumper

That looks great and looks good on your truck to /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Nice! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif What bender did you use?

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Thanks.
    I used the $69 special from <a target="_blank" href=http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32888>Harbor Freight</a>. Worked pretty good, it helped to fill the tube with sand before I would make each bend.

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Thanks, yeah I spent probably 20 hours building it, but I feel the outcome was worth it.
    The cost of the materials actually ending up in the bumper was about $75 bucks including mounting hardware. I spent twice that much bending tube and going through the trial and error thing. Lots of complex angles to deal with when making the bends. I will be starting on the rear bumper next. My wife loved to hear that./forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

7. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Looks good. Glad to see some different looks on the tube design. I'd like to see some better pics of the winch box if you've got em'.

I wasted a little tube too on the first one I built. Multiple bends and notches can be pretty tricky.

BIGJ

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Thanks Oh great one ! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    I will get some more pictures tonight of the mounting setup.

9. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

So that harbor freight bender was able to handle this? Which one did you get? I was going to get one and people told me to avoid it......

Thanks,
    Marty----

10. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Looks good ,what did you notch the ends of the pipe with?Iv just been clamping the pieces in my mill and using a hole saw.

11. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32888>THIS</a> is the one I bought.
    It handled it with no problems. It is rated at 12 tons and I placed the "rollers" at the furthest adjustment to use the leverage. So far I have made this bumper and my rock sliders with no problems whatsoever.

12. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that has been one of the fun and time consuming issues. I basically used my chop saw to make the cut as close as possible and then an angle grinder to make the notches.

13. BIGJ

Not hardly a "great one" more like a little guy trying to get a small piece of the pie /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

A tubing notcher would make your life a lot better as far as time goes. I tried the chop saw method and you are right, it wastes a LOT of time. Plasma cutters work really good for the wide notches.

BIGJ

14. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering cuz I got some funky angles that I cant do like I have been.Im thinking I might have to just notch them with my grinder.Lucky for me Iv only got 2 of those angles to do /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Man, I would love to get a plasma cutter, but I could not force myself to spend a couple grand for a good Lincoln. What kind do you use?

16. BIGJ

Buddy of mine has an old miller. I gotta sell some bumpers to get a plasma of my own. The miller works great, but I use the JD2 notcher for just about all of the notches, then round out the rest of the notch with a grinder or the plasma. A torch will work too, just makes a bigger mess. I had a Harbor Freight notcher, it was a total piece of crap. It couldn't make it through two front bumpers.

BIGJ

17. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Good job man! Those things look great! Where did you pick up the winch, and how much did you spend on it?

-Dan

18. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Thanks!
    I got the winch from Sam's Offroad here in Tulsa. A friend and myself went in and bought two at once so they sold them to us for $900 each. Not bad since I see them listed most places for $1095. Also, K5BLT4FUN graciously gave up his door prize from the Disney "Midwest Spring K5 Thing". A gift certificate for $100 rebate on the purchase of a new Ramsey winch.

19. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Looks Sweet!! Now all you need to do is cut your fender the same height as your bumper and it will look awesome./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

20. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Thanks. Yeah, I know I need to cut the fenders. I am just hesitant to do the first cut... But it is next on the list.