Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics of My K30 for those who asked.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Jan 5, 2002.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ok, it aint much but several people have asked for pics of my K30 project. Right now it is just a junker K30 with 31s and no fenders or bed. Just waiting on the big tires as soon as I find a deal I can afford. That's my co-wheeler moving it in the back yard right after we took the bed off.

Front

Next week I'll probably get the front lift springs and some F150 rear springs for a rear flip. Once I get some tires, it's time to cut 15-20" out of the frame behind the cab and bob the tail (maybe the nose too?).

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wow! That's UGLY!! But great potential!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

now how come you took the pic when this thing was torn apart??? [​IMG]

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

4. BadDog

Torn apart? It's almost done! [​IMG] I didn't want to cut brand new GM front fenders into oblivion (to clear big tires with little lift) just to crash them into rocks. So, off they came. Still have the new hood on there till I can make something. The bed came off to make my life easier with the spring swap/shackle flip. I'm also cutting the frame to shorten the wheel base to roughly Blazer/SWB depending on my mood. Loosing the weight is good too. Later, after the frame cut, I may put it back on with the top cut off the cab to make a sort of topless Blazer thing. Or I may do a flat bed, or maybe just a buggy body out of tube. Again, depends on my mood and resources. But, for now, it will not be too much trouble to fit the big tires and the springs are easily accessible. Moving the body back to clear the tires is another possibility so, for now, the bed is out of my way...

Russ

5. solowookie

so I guess that means you are making a dedicated rock buggy huh? doesn't look much like a k30 though, but perfect base for what you are building.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

It's almost done!

<hr></blockquote>
    They are never done Russ... looks like a killer project though.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

7. BadDog

LOL, "It's almost done" was a joke. I'm not even started good yet.

Russ

8. BadDog

Yes, it is destined to be a dedicated rock buggy. I never had any intention of putting money OR time into making it look cool or nice. Functional is #1 and dependable is #2. I guess #3 is "on a budget". [​IMG] Yeah, right, like that ever lasts... If it ever has a tag I'll be surprised, although, if I do away with the body so that I can do smog test based only on the emissions from the pipe (as kit car), I may put a tag on it just for convienience and blacktop runs between/on trails.

As far as my choice for a base vehicle, I always wanted to do D60/C14 and TH400/205 in my old '75 Blazer (D44/C12/TH350/205/454) but when I looked at the price of the parts (not even counting the labor) it always made me change my mind. Especially when building a dedicated rig, it is MUCH cheaper AND easier to start with a K30...

Things on the "to do" list:

<font color=red>Soon</font color=red>

4" Lift - Next (spring front, F150/flip rear)
    -- With x-over and maybe hi-steer
    BIG MEATS 40-44", maybe even 48"
    -- Modify/Move cab and/or core support to clear tires
    -- Move front axle forward
    Front cage
    Shave and skid front and rear axles before they get chewed up.
    Skids for x-over pipe, tranny, and case
    Cut frame behind rear springs.

<font color=red>Eventually, hopefully not too long</font color=red>

Detroit/ARB/OX for the D60 (since I figured out it is open [​IMG])
    Cut 15-20" out of wheel base right behind cab
    Move rear axle back
    Cut front over hang
    Build body/seating for 4-6.
    -- Cut top off cab, remove doors, cut down and attach bed for pseudo-Blazer
    -- Build tube buggy body
    -- Combination/Hybrid of the two
    -- Family (full) cage
    Bead Locks

That's the main thing and all I can think of now. Of course, there are many small things and incidentals like bumpers, x-members, braces, sliders, etc. Lots of plans and ideas, I just got to get the basics out of the way, collect the money, and find the time.

So, how does that sound for a project? Suggestions or comments?

Russ

9. solowookie

suggestions??? ya pass some of your ambition my way... [​IMG]

10. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

I thought I had a long way to go. If you cut the frame behind the rear spring shackles, how do you plan to move the rear axle back? You and I both need to win the lottery!

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74 K5 Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds

11. BadDog

LOL! Aint that true!

I'm moving the axle back on the springs, not the springs on the frame. The stock GM 56" springs have the axle offset to the front of center anyway. Plus I'm putting on the 57" Ford springs so I have to drill a new hole anyway. I'll just drill it further back that stock GM by an inch or two. That gets the back of the tires (at 44" or so) almost back to the back of the springs and rear hanger. Then, if I cut the frame right behind the spring hangers, I have an almost 90 degree departure angle. Make sense?

Russ

12. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a cool idea. I'd Like to see it when your finished and progress pics too!

What kind of wheel base are you shooting for and why? (As-in, aproximate numbers, I think blazers are 104")

What your idea on moveing the front axle forward? -Kinda been down that route if you plan to move the hangers, might be able to help you out, or atleast help you avoid some headacks I found along the way.

You better get cracking, cutting and bolting. Lots to do before CK5- Moab. Do you think yoou'll make it? (nothing like a dead-line to stay motivated)

<font color=blue>Wow Factor
    A SBC at 6000 RPM, Piston speed of 60 MPH.
    3- The intake charge reaches a speed 4 X greater than the piston.
    Thats 240 MPH.

13. BadDog

Well, I'll be trying to get some progress pics now that I'm getting to the "interesting" stuff.

The stock LWB is 132" and I plan to cut out roughly 22", maybe a little more, so that comes to about 110" with the axles in the stock location (on the springs). Then, the front axle goes forward by about 1-2" and the rear goes back by 1-2" so that gets me to roughly 112-114 total. Hopefully that will let the big tires mostly clear the fire wall AND get me 75-80 degree or better approach/departure angles (after cutting the frame as close to the spring hangers as possible). I'm not moving the spring hangers at all. Just cutting the frame to shorten the wheel base and cutting any unnecessary frame fore and aft of the springs. Bumpers will be incorporated at/as the front and rear frame x-members.

On the front, I expect I'll just run the standard 4" lift BDS springs. Don't know if I have the energy (or $$) to fool with experimenting with the Dodge front springs to get a better shackle angle. Hmmm, maybe move the front hanger BACK an inch or so? Hmmm, looks like I'm gonna need to fabricate a fan shroud anyway so I could easily move the core support back too and then cut the excess frame off. That would give me the corrected front shackle without fooling around with different spring applications. Hmmm, I'll have to think about this some more. If I put on the 4" BDS then something like this could always be done later when I have time and/or get bored (or notice a real problem that bugs me).

Moab in August? I think I am definitely going to be there. How far along I'll be, I have no idea. I've got to get the basics together so that I can start using for easy, safe stuff. Then I've got to get the frame cut down so I can put in my cage in order to do the more extreme stuff. I don't want to put in the cage till I decide what I'm doing with the body AND the frame, otherwise I may get stuck with throwing the whole thing out or compromising in order to keep it. If it takes too long, I'll probably just get one of those 6 point "pickup cab" type cages and then add the family cage when I know for sure where things are going. The rest is just gravy and "do it as you can but keep it wheelable as much as possible".

Russ

14. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I think you'll probably hit the 'core support.

I think mines going to. (about 4" lift, axle forward 1", 36" tires.)
    Looks like it's going to hit when the tires are turned. I'm not sure, because the tire isn't mounted because of the engine hoist I use to test out the flex, is strapped in it's place. Just a thought.

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted

15. BadDog

What core support? [​IMG][​IMG]

Yes, I'm sure it will hit. Especially if I go with the 48s. Heck, they will hit everywhere with only a 4" (or 8", or 10" [​IMG]) lift. My current plan is to cut the core support right along side the radiator, just outside the core support mounts.

Russ