Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics of my K30 on Terminator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BadDog, Apr 15, 2002.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

2. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Sweet! I especially like the date on the pics. That number (4-13) seems to have some special importance to me. BTW you should have camped out Saturday, you missed the Hood Skiing.

3. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

dude, thats realy cool..
    is that a truck frame?i am thinking about doing that same thing, but w/ blazer frame. great pics.
    george

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Y'all are having all the fun without me./forums/images/icons/frown.gif But I'll be back. This time with 4.56 gears, and locker front and rear./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

P.S. Sweet pics.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Dang! Must have been a pretty rough trail! Looks like it ripped off most of the body. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. BadDog

Yep, it's a truck frame (see the subject line /forums/images/icons/wink.gif ) I'll be cutting it down to a shorter wheel base soon. Still debating the exact length, maybe as much as 20" or so, which gets me down to around 110 (or about the same as a K5). Once it’s bobbed, I gotta build some sort of body for it.

7. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Looks awesome---dosn't even look like 42's. so how did the lock-rite hold up to the big rocks, big tires and hydro assist?

Dan

8. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Cool pics!! I want to run that trail sometime.Looks like fun!

9. BadDog

Lock-rite held up fine. No problems with anything other than my tires hitting the hydro assist lines. When you combine 4" of lift, 4" back spacing wheels, 42" TSLs, and moving the axle forward 2", you wind up with lugs hitting the hydro assist tapped lines when you turn hard right with any driver’s side compression. Matt (West Texas, great guy!!) is working with me now on figuring out how best to correct that. Not many people run that combo so he hasn't seen this problem before.

I also had some heating problems but that was due to not having a fan shroud. I've got to build my own because there is no stock shroud that will fit with the diesel radiator (centered, not in the stock offset location) combined with the SBC. Engine temp got to around 210-220 several times. One time it got up to 250 due to power braking through some knarly stuff. I’ll definitely have to do something before I go out again with temps already approaching 3 digits.

10. BadDog

Hehe, most of the trucks out there took some pretty significant body damage. One really straight 75(???) K5 whacked a door and both quarters pretty good. Allan (Green Blazer) flattened the lower door and rocker (and a tail light?). Rob pretty much finished off his rocker, lower driver's door, and forward quarter (he had to cut away some of the damage [using his inverter with a 4" grinder!] to get his door to close). The list goes on... Somehow I got very little body damage. Maybe it’s because there is no body? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I did elevate my passenger side rocker enough that a door will no longer fit though.

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Cool...........love the flatbed material. Are you street legal?

12. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Dude, somebody stole your fenders. And doors. And bed. (Nice trunk BTW /forums/images/icons/wink.gif).

I think you'll be fine once you get a shroud on it, I never have any probs w/mine, and I'm always riding both pedals off road. I think I'm running the diesel fan, mostly since the gas one was crunched when I got it (donor truck was wrecked).

I was kind of afraid of the tires hitting the hydro lines with them coming out the side of the box, I "talked" w/Matt Hodges about it when I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do, he said he would work w/me on trying to get them out the top or something if I wanted to go that route. I ended up just tapping the caps, so its not an issue for me. I mainly did it this way because I'm a cheap bastard, and for some stupid reason, wanted to try rebuilding a steering box. Matt was very helpfull and timely with his responses to my inquireies, and if I had bought a commercial system, I would've used him for sure.

Do you think 44s would hit the steering box on your rims (not the hydro lines). I've been wanting bigger tires, but don't think I could justify the expense for just going up 2 1/2".

Glad to see you got it out on the trails.

Pete

13. BadDog

You like that eh? Had a piece of particle board lying propped against the back of the shop along with some pieces of 2x4. Needed a place to strap coolers, tool box, etc. A few nails, a couple of holes, 2 of the carriage bolts from the bed, problem solved. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Nope, not quite street legal. From what I can gather, all I need is tail lights and flaps. I’m planning on getting it tagged in the next month or so if possible.

14. BadDog

Yeah, we are talking about the top too. That or trying to mount a 90 right down tight against the side of the sector. I agree, Matt's a great guy and he has been very helpful and considerate of my birage of questions at every stage.

On the temp, I'll probably just fab a shroud out of sheet metal. That or get a junkyard electric fan (or 2).

As for 44s, it would be REALLY close. You might be forced to go with 3 to 3.5" offset to run that without additional lift. That or limit steering angles. I think it would hit hard with 44s.

This thing is a blast on the trails. I ran some hard lines on those obstacles and didn't need the strap or rocks stacked a single time. It really exceeded all my expectations for this stage of development. Still lots to do and problems to solve but, for what I’ve managed to complete, it works quite well.

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That's a pretty serious looking rig. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif There are some shots of major body damage, as well as a truck that looks similar to yours here: http://community.webshots.com/user/harryh3

16. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Russ,

I have to admit, you and Matt were the "BIG DOGS" last weekend. I was talking to Marv on Saturday night, and we both agreed that you did awesome this weekend.

Congradulations, you are a bid dog now!!!

Driving skills were awesome last weekend, and we sure had fun.

Rob & Joey.

17. BadDog

Yeah, I've seen that truck before. I'm planning to do a similar cut to improve visibility in the front. Basically, make the hood into a wedge and cut the core support all the way down beside the radiator, similar to Larry’s truck. I just haven't gotten as far along as he is, yet... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

18. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Your Chevy is what Mat's ford is aspiring to be, LOL, just kidding Mat. Both of you guys make those trails look easy. Getting my rig through was hard but you went through like a motorcycle in rush hour traffic in LA. A little more lift and some serious fender trimming and maybe I can borrow those 42's when you decide to get some 44's

19. BadDog

Thanks. Most of it was due to good advice and spotting.

Still got a lot to learn about my rig, it's limitations and dimensions, as well as how to deal with the really big rocks (which I've never had a rig capable of tackling before). There were a couple of times I really thought I was going over. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Yeaaa-hhaaawwwww! Bring it aaawwwwwnnnnnn!!!! I had a blast but, MAN I was tired by the time we were done. It really takes it out of you don’t it...

Oh, and much thanks for the fluid that refilled my PS pump when I kept breaking it loose with the tire hitting the line. I love that truck of yours! You’re my idol! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I swear you got more stuff in that rig than AutoZone, all labeled and sealed in vacume packed bags. On TOP OF THAT, you got 110v for grinders (LOL /forums/images/icons/wink.gif ) and on-board air plus air tools. I swear, whatever needs fixing on the trail, you have the stuff to do it. I don’t know how you get all that stuff in there...

20. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif Looks like you had a blast. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I am however making a mental note that I need to get my sliders on after seeing that door opening. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif