Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pics of my new k5 6.2

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by general blaze, Sep 18, 2005.

1. general blaze

general blaze 1/2 ton status

well i am loving the truck. but i am not too impressed with my first diesel.. i would like some more power.. no tire spin= no fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. general blaze

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

She looks fine to me. :D

Nice truck you have there as well. :haha:

Check the gearing, you probably have 308's.

4. general blaze

could gearing help me out..?? it crawls around just fine. but if i want to charge a steep hill that is covered in lose sand.. she has a hard time..

5. general blaze

what are my gearing options?? if i have 308s whats that mean and what can be expected from other gears.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Actually , No tire spin = Less broken parts :D

Gears do help . I noticed the difference going lower , with the same tire size , and only change being gears .

Another thing that helps is a locker . I was able to climb stuff with a small motor and highway gears due to traction .

7. general blaze

ya i noticed i dont have posi in the rear.. that is crap i need to fix that asap. what is the best way to go about fixing that problem and what gears should i look for.. i still want this thing to be streetable but it is not my daily driver so i can afford to surrender some drivability.

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

3.08 means that for every time the wheels turn one full rotation, the driveshaft has to turn 3.08 times. The torque applied to the shaft is also multiplied by that factor so therefore if you have a lower ratio (higher nummerically) say 4.10:1 u get more torque but your engine will have to spin more times to do the same distance. So basically you lose that comfortable highway RPM and gain off the line power.

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Try just getting new axles complete- since you seem like your keeping the truck, try to find a d44/10b 8 lug front and a 14B SF or FF for the rear- it will run you about 400, and it will be less than the cost for regearing. Plus, you get more brakes, and stronger axles.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If that is a stock 6.2 K5 it should have the 700R-4 and a 'C' code 6.2.

You can get a few more hp from the 6.2 by swapping on a 'J' code (non EGR) intake and port matching the intake. Inexpensive and simple.

More importantly you should regear. 4.56's would be great. Not only do lower gears mean more rpms, but they multiply torque. So, if you have ~240 lbs of torque to work with 3.08's will put down 739 lbs to the wheels. 4.56's increase that to ~1100 lbs. That's about a 50% increase.

RPM wise you'll still be in good shape because you have overdrive. The 6.2 is most efficient around 1800 rpm cruise. With 33's and 4.56's you'll be at 2100 rpm at 65...which is still low enough to return ~20 mpg.

Diesels also really respond well to large free flowing exhaust. Large exhaust also helps keep EGT's down...not that that is such a big deal with no turbo but it is a nice side benfit IMO.

Rene

11. general blaze

THANSK alot for all the info. but i am still a newbie. all this c code and j code things i am not to familur with. but it seems like helpfull info. this is not my daily driver so i am not to concerned with highway speeds. i want the lower gears. so i am going to do what you said. where can i find these parts..

12. tRustyK5

Two options come to mind.

Option #1:

Re-gear existing diff's to 4.56 and add at least a rear locker. Detroit locker is about $500, gear sets seem to run about $250 for each end plus having them installed might run another $200-$400.

The downside to that plan is you'll still have a somewhat failure prone 10 bolt rear end...although with a full carrier Detroit it should withstand more.

Total cost is prolly gonna be about $1500.

Option #2:

Swap to 3/4 ton diff's. 14 bolt FF rear and 8 lug 10 bolt front. These diff's commonly come with 4.10's and can usually be found for under $400 for the pair. Yes, the ratio isn't quite as deep but it would still be a very good improvement over what you have now. Factor in 4 15 x 8 8 lug steel rims and you'll be able to re-use your existing tires...shouldn't run more than $250 for the rims.

Total cost is gonna be about $650. Add a Detroit for another $380 and install it yourself (easy job). So, for just over $1K you would have a bulletproof rear diff with a detroit locker and much better gears.

This is a 'J' code intake:

[​IMG]

You can see it's pretty much open from the top except for the divider mine has. Some versions don't have the divider. If you remove your air cleaner assembly you'll see the difference. I don't have a 'C' code intake pic handy...but basically there is an EGR crowding where the air goes in and it's pretty restrictive. The more air a diesel can get the more fuel it can use and the more power it'll make.

Rene

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

what is the hp rating on those?
    maybe that is part of it?
    I was searching the other day and came up with non turbo @ 135hp and 240ftlb torque????? :doah:
    that is why im learing away from a diesel...

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

No tire spin = no fun? Tire spin wouldn't even enter my mind...

15. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yo divorced..

guess you play postal 2 huh??? :haha:

running with scissors :bow:
    ALI ALI ALI ALI - yelling in a foreign tongue :haha:

16. tRustyK5

'J' code is supposed to be 155 hp and either 255 or 265 tq. I've seen a few chassis dyno numbers exceeding that at the rear wheels though.

Gearing does affect chassis dyno numbers though, and the truck I'm referring to had a 700R-4 and 4.56's with 35's. Best numbers before the turbo was added was 134 hp and 336 lbs of torque to the rear wheels. With turbo it was 172 hp and 451 lbs of torque.

Rene

17. general blaze

new axels it is. now where do i get these. do i go to my local salvage yard or check ebay.. can anyone supply me with a link if you see any going for a reasonable price..

oh and just a tid bit of info. i blew up my first u joint today..hahahahha. got it fixed in like 30 mins...

just thought i would share

18. general blaze

14 bolt FF what does this FF mean???

also i am searching ebay for these parts but i am having a hard time. i have a local shop here that is willing to help with my build up. they are giving me half off of labor.. and with my work schedual i just dont have the time to work onit myself right now..

also where do i get a j code intake manifold. what engine did it come on..?? what is a part number.. someone tell me how to getone of these.

19. general blaze

20. general blaze