Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics of my newest DB-Drag car are up

Discussion in 'Audio' started by BozoWise, Jul 5, 2002.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Check them out on my webshot page linked below. Let me know what ya think. 171.3 with one 15" Crossfire XT sub and 4 Crossfire 1000Ds; 8 - 8 volt interstate batteries. Let me know if you are needing any audio stuff; I'm alwys willing to sell a bit over cost to fellow CK5ers

2. Rebel-Rider

Rebel-Rider 1/2 ton status

hey thats a nice setup, i want to put one in my blazer, what setup would you use to get from 150db-155db that would be ideal for me since the loudes in town is 145

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

2 Crossfire P112D and a Crossfire 600d in my salesmans Jeep Cherooke is doing consistant 149.00 in a large ported enclosure. I replaced that last month with 2 BMF 15" and a 1000d and it is in the 158.00 right now without major mods or tuning /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I would sell you 2 P112d's and a 600D amp for 475.00 shipped with full warranty; retail price would be 967.00

I sell all the car audio for about 5% over cost to CK5 members.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I would just like to comment to the list that BozoWise has posted a very interesting set of pics that show what a DB-type setup looks like. I would encourage everyone here to take a look.....especically those of you who are new to "Audio"...

I have seen many posts on this list from people who want a Blazer system that "SLAMS" or that can hit XYZ decibels, etc. and I am often left wondering if they really know what they are asking for....? Do you REALLY want to build an audio system using specialized "SPL-Oriented" equipment?

The pictures in this link should clearly demonstrate that if you have an objective of "Lots of dB", you will need to make compromises in other areas to achieve that. Do you really want to line your vehicle with 1" thick (and HEAVY) MDF to add structural stiffness? It should be obvious after looking at the pics that the BozoWise vehicle is built for one thing, and one thing only....to create MAXIMUM pressure inside the vehicle to achieve the highest possible SPL score. dB-Drags are a fascinating engineering challenge, and I can appreciate the problem solving needed to achieve these kinds of numbers.

HOWEVER.....I personally don't think the result is what you'd call an "Audio System".....maybe more of a "Pressure System"...? /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

I think it's important to consider what the real objective of your Audio system is.... I'm willing to bet that even BozoWise will admit that the system he's built is NOT the kind of thing you'd want to listen to your favorite music on! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Just some food for thought....

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Great post Greg /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

I wish the lining was only 1" thick. The interior is 2.5" at minimum. This car has so much MDF in it that it is bottomed out on the suspension and the thing lowers my trailer more then my K5 does. I blew the factory glass out of the windshield (not an explosion like some people claim, the seals all broke loose and the glass came out) I then had to add 5/8" steel to the frames and 1" plexi. That little addition was more then I had invested in the car from the start. There is only one speaker in the car and you couldn't even set in it with it playing unless you want to vomit. I have found very few people that could handle pressures above 160 without getting sick. This car is a total useless piece of crap for anything besides DB-drag. When the car is retired it will be heading to the crusher.

When I started doing SPL cars back in 90 it was all about how many speakers you could fit in a car. The more speakers the louder it was. Not anymore. It is all about design. I just thought I would post some pics so people would have an idea of the amount of time and money that you have to invest in a true DB-Drag car. Everyone wonders why I can't get there daily driver as loud with the same setup as mine.

Anything in you vehicle that vibrates absorbs sound and the biggest sound deading device is the seats. So if you want it louder you have to remove and reinforce everything that vibrates. That is about everything in a car. I did finish an Sound Quality car a few months ago that is doing a 155 with 2 15" This is by far the best sounding car I have done yet the amount of money the guy had to invest in it was outrageous. He has almost 30,000 invested in the stereo alone. 5.1 surround sound, DVD, remote start that controls everything in the car, all hand made speakers from germany and amps that were all reworked for less distorsion. Car audio is a addiction and like anything else in life you get what you pay for. I am never amazed at the amount of people who want there car the hit XYZ yet only want to spend 300.00

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

BW,

Thanks! Now that I have your attention.....let's talk about headunits. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Mine old Alpine 7939 decided over the holiday weekend that my music was too tasty to give back (won't eject without a fight!)

So I'll take a little advice from the pro....

What's good these days in a 4+ Volt pre-out deck? It would be nice to find one that has the "blackout style" faceplate, so it's hidden when the power is off. I did some preliminary looking around and see that Pioneer and Alpine have some hi-end stuff.....but the displays all look like videogames these days don't they? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif It would sure be nice to find a deck with a "tastefully simple" look, like the old Alpine 7909...... ahhh the good 'ol days!

You can PM me with ideas or prices if you'd rather do it that way.

7. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

A Panasonic CQ-DF802U is very pimp. My father really likes it and he is old school as they come. The face goes straight black when off and it is detachable. 5volt outputs /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif front rear and non-fading sub remot control, touch screen, 50w mosfet chip it is loaded I could get it shipped to your door for 315.00 I sell them in the store for 459.90 all day long retail I think id closer to 499.95-549.95

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Lookin good, how long did it take to complete ?? /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

9. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

It will never be complete just like my K5 /forums/images/icons/wink.gif But the initial buildup took about 3 months of nightly work. I've got customers cars to do during the days so I can pay my bills.

10. Rebel-Rider

Rebel-Rider 1/2 ton status

i just heard the new JL Audio W7 i heard a 10 in a car with a 500watt jl amp and it was the best sub ive ever heard in my life it was so loud for one sub yet so clean, that made up my mind for me, im gonna do 1 13W7 in a ported box, with either a kicker or mmats 1200 watt amp running to it so it should be pretty loud

11. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I'd go MMATS for sure ;-) Kicker has gone downhill in the last few years. IMHO