Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics of my piece of junk

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Sep 8, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Finnally figured out how to post pics today, so I snapped a few quick ones of my sub. its a pile, I know, but I only paid $1000.. the only mods so far is a ORD steering brace.
    here it is
    [​IMG]
    my first wheeling damage
    [​IMG]
    it a government issure, whatever that means
    [​IMG]
    nice for camping
    [​IMG]
    perfect body
    [​IMG]
    junky motor
    [​IMG]

sorry for trashing up the forum with my turd, just wanted to show yall before I start the build into the awsome machine that I hope it will become ;)

2. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

Looks like a good starter wheeler!!! :D

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

its a good start. it wouldnt be as much fun if everything was already perfect. now u have a chance to make it ur own.

what do u plan to do to it?

4. 78Suburban

current plans are: 3 inch TC lift front and rear springs, Bilstien 5100 shocks, 33" boggers, detroit locker or spool (still deciding), 4.56 gears if the 3.73's seem to be too doggy with the boggers, and maybe a few power mods...

Of course I'll never quit evolving it into something bigger..
    right now I just need to make it idle decently and install the gauges... :doah:

5. muddybuddy

1 step at a time. sounds like a good plan. what about 4" and 35 boggers? :D
    ur right, ur going to keep wanting to making it bigger and better.

6. 78Suburban

33's are less rotational weight and stress on drivetrain parts, plust they will push me into the 33" class at the local mud bog.. go up 1 inch from there and I'm runnin with the boys with 44's :o

3" =no steering mods, or any mods for that matter...
    If and when my desire arizes to grow I shall employee zero rates up front and more the axle foward.. then I will break out the sawzall and go crazy..

but I think my wimpy poser plans will be more than enough for having some fun. :wink1:

7. muddybuddy

alright, you make some good points :haha: i mean who does really wanna face 'em boys with 44s? thats kinda silly that 34" and ud have to face them, doesnt seem fair, but oh well. well seems like its gonna turn into a sweet rig. are u 1/2 or 3/4 ton?

8. muddybuddy

:doah: i jus saw the 8lugs

9. 78Suburban

3/4 ton.. and I'm currently torn between DL or a spool or mini spool.. just can't make up my mind.. I worry about running a spool with bogger on the pavement... but I worry about the $$ of a locker :D

So much planning to do..

10. muddybuddy

i got a detroit for my 14b, jus gatta put it in and get the front 10b and 14 gears in and then test it out. ill let you know how it is.

11. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

How dare you call that a Turd.... :mad: :mad:

:wink1: :wink1:

12. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Don't waste your money on a spool for the rear. Just weld it up GOOD and call it a day. You will have the same results w/ welding as you will w/ a spool but for alot less $$.

13. 78Suburban

I'm not too sure If I trust my welding skills....

what about driving a heavy truck on pavement with boggers and a welder rear/ or spool??? the physics of that get me wondering... something's gotta give in turns, and I kinda doubt the sticky boggers will. or am I just worrying too much???? maybe I just need to save up for the DL

14. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Boggers are not sticky on pavenmetn. Not alot of actual rubber on the road. You'll do fine with a welded rear. I ran 33" at's on my K5 as a DD with a welded rear for quite awhile. It was loud and screeched like a bird in parking lots and gas stations though. Funny to see people turn and look. :)

I might weld the rear in my '78 'Burb. The rear in my truggy with 42's and 5.13's has been welded since the get go. :D

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Not bad for a grand! :cool1: But the very first thing I would do with that rig is buy several cans of Gunk engine cleaner and head down to the car wash to make that engine bay sparkle. I hate working on stuff that is a greaseball! :eek1:

BTW, you do know that boggers typically last 20K miles or less when driven on the road... :rolleyes: A spool or welded diff is just gonna speed up the process. What you save on that locker you'll end up spending on tires. :wink1:

16. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

not that my truck is real awsome or anything but i figured it post it up for a little inspiration. I love the way the truck is setup now exept its got a not so awsome 203 but it does work. seems to do good in the mud for havin such worn out tires though ive only had it actually out weeling twice sence its been "done"(aka drivable). anyhow burbs are cool. good luck with your build.

steves stuff 001.jpg

steves stuff 006.jpg

09_08_3.JPEG