Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics of my rock sliders and anti-wrap bar

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big pappa b, Apr 30, 2005.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Forgive the dirt but I didn't take pics til after the Tellico run. I did try to hose it off though :p:

The sliders are 3x3 square tubing with the ends capped. Made the nerf bar part from 1.75" .120 wall. These are welded right to the rocler panel on the top and bottom. There is ZERO movement.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The anti-wrap bar is similar to the Sam's offroad deisgn. I had "cybrfire" make the axle brackets for me. The tubing for these is 1.75" .219 wall, 1/8" plate is the gusset in the middle. The rear has spring bushings and the front is attached to a large Rubicon express joint. the front mount is welded to the frame on both side and also serves as a place to mount the muffler bracket. I have maybe $80-90 into it. With the 57" springs I did lose about 1" of droop on the passenger side but no binding or loack of droop or stuff on the driver side

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Looks good :waytogo:

It looks like they are welded to the body metal...
    What kind of supports do you have under for structural strength
    "pics , cough , pics" :whistle:

3. big pappa b

There are no supports under it. It's welded right there on top along the roclers as well as underneath to the lower parts of the rocker, fender and about 6" of bed.

4. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Ok , I see...

How do you think it will stand up to a severe hit , straight up or sidways , I mean into something solid like a big rock or stump??

I'm just curious because I have to do the same thing at some point to my own rusty junk lol.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You should add on some more support to the sliders if you plan on using them alot. Tie them into the body supports or the body near the frame.

With the kicker tube on the rockers it will act like a lever every time you land on them trying to pry them away from the body. If you didn't have the kicker tube it wouldn't be as bad but dropping on the kickers is quite common and is the hardest on the sliders.

Looks good though. I like the setup. It good to see that you went with a good size kicker tube. Mine are 1" .120 wall and they bend if I hit them in an unsupported are. I have had to take the sledge hammer to the kicker tubes to get the doors to go back on after wheeling trips. That is no fun.

Harley

6. big pappa b

I may eventually add something underneath. My friends truck has them mounted the same way. he has abused them thoroughly with no signs of moving or bending. I don't go balls to the wall when out wheeling so they should be just fine like this for a while....if not you can say "I told you so" ;)

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Good looking stuff!!! Ya had to get in a hurry and still came out looking/functioning great! :waytogo:

8. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Looks great Bryan! :grin:

9. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Sliders look good :waytogo: I did the same only with 3x4 tube with capped 45* angle on both ends. No nerf bars on mine tho. And the anti-wrap bar is pretty much what I'm going to make also....Is the Rubicon joint like a large Heim or somthing else?

I made my own joint using a hub with tapered roller bearing on an axle shaft.(made the hub and shaft)

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

its a cartridge joint... like a johnny joint but with a few differences. Same concept. I have two of them on the way from when I won that drawing... I ain't going links anytime soon, so I'll prolly end up using them for an anti-wrap bar.

j