Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics of new toy (Orange '71 K5)

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by botboy, Oct 10, 2005.

1. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

'71 K5 Blazer
    305 ( :( ) W/Holley carb
    TH350 Auto
    NP205 T-case
    Warn lockouts on front
    3.73 Gears, 6 lug axles
    Chevy Orange Paint (original)
    Hideous plad cloth seats
    Paid $500 (W/O the rear posi)

Things to do:
    - Get 305 running so truck is moveable
    - Dump 305 for the motor in the machine shop (383 Vortec)
    - Fix rusty windshield frame
    - Fix rust everywhere else (rear floor, rockers, bedside, rocker boxes, kick panels)
    - Fine another rear end
    - Rear bumper & receiver
    - Bikini top?
    - Paint (currently thinking candy orange)
    - Bigger tires
    - Non-plad interior
    - Shave dash, CD deck & CB in glovebox

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

nice 1st gen. Not a bad price.

How big a tire are yu going to go, whats in the back??? :D

3. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

Those tires in the back are ?40" tires off a mud bogger, the seller threw them in for a friend of mine that came with me and expressed interest in them when I looked at the truck. They have about 50% of tread left but they were free so not a bad deal.

I'm probably going to go with 33's, I think the stock tires are too small and I want something that fills out the wheel wells more, but don't want so big they can't take a load (this baby's gonna be used for some towing and cruising) or need the fenders to be trimmed.

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

sweet! can't turn down a $500 deal huh!
    it may be rusty but at least its straight! :wink1: what are your plans? replace the fenders and graft a new windshield frame on? replace the bedsides also? those suckers aren't cheap! :crazy:

5. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

Right now my big concern is selling my '72 Cheyenne and getting rid of my maxima and F-6...my dad is NOT HAPPY with the current barrage of MY vehicles in the stable:
    '71 K5 (my new baby)
    '72 Cheyenne (former baby, now for sale, needs motor repaired)
    '59 VW Buggy (the neverending project)
    '90 Nissan Maxima (former DD, bad transmission, sold but not picked up yet)
    '92 Nissan Maxima (current DD)
    '60 C60 Ramp truck (future tow truck)
    '51 Ford F-6 chassis/grain box (sold but not picked up yet)
    '95 Ram 1500 4x4 (friend is parting it out in my field, I get the frame/box to turn into a trailer)
    '97 Chevy K1500 (another friend brought it over after the rear axle blew on the highway, fixing this week)
    '93 Pontiac Bonneville (customers car, needs a new motor)
    '72 Chevy Nova (customers car hulk, needs to be taken to scrap yard, parts car for the one I'm restoring)

In addition to that the rest of the family has 3 caravans/voyagers, an '89 V3500 crewcab LWB, '69 CST/20 Crewcab SWB 4x4, 68 Fiat Abarth alamono spyder (our "barn" vehicle) and a host of tractors & farm impliments...

I think the bedsides will be fine with some patching, I don't really think that I need to replace the whole bedsides, but the bed floor, rocker boxes, rockers, front floor and front body supports all need repaired. I'm debating whether to keep the 72 front end or go for a '67-68 front end (if 68, front markers would be shaved) but that would come after all the tub repairs get taken care of.

Beyond that, I would love an NV4500/NP241 or T56 & Divorced T-case, I've got a motor in the machine shop (350 roller block, 400 crank, vortec heads, going to go with a modified LT4 intake & TPI harness/ECM). This truck will be more of a cruiser and tow rig than a serious off road rig (no offence...but I have a lot of friends who are pretty serious into mudding, they just get from point "A" to point "broken" and smack up their bedsides, doors and fenders in the process, don't want that to happen to my truck, I'd rather be accellerating like my ass is on fire, towing trailers and ripping around corners). Planning on a Candy Orange paint for the tub and Por-15/semigloss black for the axles, suspension and underbody. Front suspension is gonna get a bigger sway bar and disk brakes, rear will also get disks, load leveler & load control airbags, probably a posi eventually too. Planning on dual exhaust thru ramshorns with electronic cutouts, and swapping the black dot tri-bar headlights and smoked running/turn and taillights from my cheyenne.

6. mkmiller

mkmiller 1/2 ton status

Nice CST, good to see someone saving another one. I might be able to help you out with some parts as I have a couple of '72's I'll be parting this winter after I get the things off I need. Only problem is I'm in SW Arkansas. With your plans, It will be sweet!
    Matthew

7. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

Let me know if/when you want to sell any rocker boxes and/or windshield frame

8. k5baby

k5baby Registered Member

Looking foward to seeing it when your done! Are you interested in selling your back seat? I'm getting mine back on the road for a D.D. and need a back seat badly for my kids!

9. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

I might be interested in selling....I've been told the interior is out of a '73+ blazer and frankly I'm not so keen on keeping the plad interior (especially since I'm planning on a dark blue metaflake paint job when this thing is done). I'd imagine shipping would be killer on something this size, but I'll take some detailed pics and let you make up your mind. PM me your email address and I'll pop some off to you.

10. k5baby

k5baby Registered Member

I sent my email via P.M. Looking foward to seeing some pics.