Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics of Q-Jet... cleaned up a bit.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Apr 27, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guys think?? Other than it being about 20 years old and rebuilt at least once in the last 5 years... it doesn't look too bad. Now I have to reroute my fuel lines, and figure out what all these things on the carb do...

2. bonanza

bonanza Registered Member

It looks like you just pulled it off your truck.

3. PhoenixZorn

I just pulled it off the 327 block that blew up on me at 85 on the freeway...

I haven't finished cleaning it, just soaked it in carb cleaner for a couple minutes... haven't had a chance to really get into it for cleaning, but I will shortly.

Oh yeah... it's a great improvement over what it was 10 minutes ago... it was black on top... now the covers actually kinda shine.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Screw what it looks like. As long as its clean (internally especially) who cares? If building a show truck, I'm pretty sure there won't be a Q-jet on it anyway.

Only way to make those things look good is to send them in to get replated, although eastwood probably sells some faux-plating paint that matches.

That plating isn't that great, it just starts to come apart likely due to that pot metal they use as castings, so you'll never make it look new like one out of a box.

I gave up trying to make things shine that don't functionally need to a long time ago, I just don't have enough time. Only have time to modify or enjoy my truck, not make it look pretty.

An ugly but functional component impresses some people a lot more than one that shines and doesn't perform any better. Kind of like how $2000 wheels don't make a $500 car look better. :p:

5. PhoenixZorn

lol... indeed dyeager. =)

Anyone able to grab those pictures and tell me what each little coupler is supposed to be attached to? I know which one is the vacuum line, and I know one gets run to the left side valve cover... but I don't have the foggiest idea how to do this... also need an easy way to re-run my fuel lines for cheap...

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd say for fuel line, if talking pump to carb, go see if Napa or someone can get you a stock replacement. If they can't, I'd be surprised. LMC probably has them. Just not worth the hassle of trying to cobble something together, and personally I won't mess with rubber up there. I know lots have no problems, personal preference is not to.

Front center angled to drivers side and down is EVAP. Lower front large one is PCV, from there, all educated guesses...I'd suspect front upper left small one is vac advance, front lower left is probably EGR, front right small one no idea, and the one on the upper left in the rear is a NON vacuum, clean air port. On Olds that was for the heated choke to pull air from. On yours, no idea.

Both EGR and vac advance are going to be ported. Look down the primary throttle bore on the "forward" (as in vehicle) edge of the primaries, and you will see the two holes for the mix control needles. Above those, you will likely see at least two more slots or holes, which is what is what feeds any "ported" vacuum devices. You can stick your finger over one hole, and blow through the fitting. That'll tell you which does what. Just because the holes and fittings LOOK like they line up, doesn't mean much.

You'll also have the THERMAC to run off of vacuum, that would be another small line or tee. I'm sure I've missed other vacuum devices, but others will know.

7. PhoenixZorn

/me scratches head...

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Looks familiar...I have some pics that may help...I think I had 6 things total that connected to the carb... i;ll see if I can find a picture...

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These might help...although I am still learning what the names of everything is... so I can't say too much more...

10. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

11. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

From the looks of all that corrosion you had, I don't think your motor had enough oil leaks. :crazy:

12. PhoenixZorn

13. bonanza

bonanza Registered Member

I wasn't saying that it wasn't "bling", and I wasn't being a prick. I was simply trying to say that it looks like it could use a more thorough cleaning.