Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics of rear bumper

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blzr83, May 3, 2002.

1. blzr83

blzr83 Registered Member

Hey everyone. I keep seeing pics of tube bumpers popping up so I figured I'd show you guys what I had going. I recently finished the tail light protection so I'm almost done with it! It's pretty much the same design that a lot of the other K5s are using, guess that means it works! I built the main bumper (minus tail light protection) about a year ago....let me know what you think.

http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albup06

2. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Looks pretty good!

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Nice. I like the simplicity and durability.

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Yep, looks good, I have been toying with the idea on building some tube bumpers, maybe to sell if I can make a good design. I have a good tube bender now and have a couple of questions for you. What diameter tube did you use? Also do you have any close shots of your mounts and or where your shackels hook up. I have some good desigins for bumepers in my head, both front and rear, but have not given alot of thought to the mounting points to the frame. I want to make the bumper mounting points and the shackle mounting points one in the same.

Depdog

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Do the side members have a beam that leads back to the frame? Or how did you support the ears on your bumper?

Here is how mine is supported:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/photo/35650184/35722420ngSZjp>REAR BUMPER BRACE</a>

-Dan

6. blzr83

blzr83 Registered Member

I used 1 3/4" 120 and 1 1/2" 120 for the tube and 1/4" plate to mount it to the frame. I will try and get some more detailed shots of mounting points for you. I'm in the process of running a brace from each side of the bumper to the frame much like Steve's and Dan's because the sides do flex enough where they could cause more damage than they would prevent! I'll try and get some better pics with the details soon.