Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pics of roll cages please, and how to tie into the frame, thanks

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by quadracing, Feb 8, 2004.

1. quadracing

quadracing Registered Member

just as subject, pics of cages and how to tie into the frame.

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Most roll cages DO NOT tie into frame. I ran extra tubing from the front footwell floor plates to the frame rail by the front cab mount.

3. quadracing

yeah, but I am not just trusting that thin body, that just don't make sense to me, can you show me pics of how ya did it????

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    just as subject, pics of cages and how to tie into the frame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kevin,

This is not a "show me your pics" type of forum...(try "The Garage") /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

C.O.G. is for people who are already deep into the design or fabrication of a project who are looking to either share their work, or need some advice on next steps...

At this point, we don't know anything about your truck (what year?) what kind of wheeling you do, what your design criteria are, what sort of concessions you are willing to make to install this cage, etc.

This area can be a helpful place for you, but you need to demonstrate that you already have SOME idea of what you want to do, and maybe spend a little time explaining the criteria so we don't have to make so many assumptions.....

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. quadracing

ummmmmm ok, I am so glad I paid my money for this forum. I am into the project, and that is why that I asked for pics of what others have done on theres, it don't matter what year and stuff, I just wanted to get an idea of what others have done. thanks though for all your help.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

his point is you will notice there are kind of a group of people that post here cause we are the people tackling bigger projects. Presently I'm turning my rig into a tube buggy. Being advanced things means we like them specific so we can really get in depth on things.

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Greg (Greg72) is just saying that pics of cages is very broad. You need to give some parameters. Are you using dog legs for the front or a halo bar set up. Where is the downbar gonna hit the floor? How many points will it attatch at? What do you need it for? (high speed, rock crawling, ect) Are you doing seats on the cage? are there dash bars or belt bars? What truck are you putting it in would be nice for a start at least.
    Hope that clears this up.

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Russ hasn't replied yet, that was Greg... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Sorry Greg, I read this earlier this morning and had only a few minutes to respond today. I fixed it though.
    Carry on...

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I do not have pics yet but my cage is tied into the frame. The cage comes down to a plate that is bolted to the floor. Under the floor is another plate ( the two plates are bolted together) with tube that goes to a slider to the frame setup. The front goes to the frame right behind the body mount. On the rear leg, the body mount was boxed in leaving the bottom open for bolt access and the tube welds to the boxed in part. The rear bars go all the way to the rear bumper that is welded to the rear frame.

The sliders were built before the cage and are very strong. We just ran the down bars under the body to the slider supports. The sliders are also part of the front and side armor that connects to the frame again and then to the front and rear bumpers.

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    ummmmmm ok, I am so glad I paid my money for this forum. I am into the project, and that is why that I asked for pics of what others have done on theres, it don't matter what year and stuff, I just wanted to get an idea of what others have done. thanks though for all your help.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I do agree with Greg's point on this one, there has been too much vague and general “show me” stuff lately. I’ve been hanging back to sort of see where it goes, and also to see what the other participants feel about it (self policing is good, *within limits*).

We are not saying you can't ask your question, but more background for discussion would help to keep the "signal to noise" high in this forum. Your initial question reads like your just throwing out a line to see what bites. Sort of a “teach me all about it” kind of thing, and that’s not appropriate in this forum, people are expected to do the leg work before posting here. Your post comes across as though you expect us to do the leg work for you. And contrary to what some members believe (and have stated), buying a membership does not absolve the member of following reasonable forum etiquette (like searching before posting or following forum guide lines). This forum is different than all the other forums on this site (or most any other site). If you want to discuss specifics of your mods, or ask for help past a specific road block in your build up, or even show off what you’re working on (as long as it fits in the guide lines), that’s what this forum is for. If you want help with the footwork, you should start in one of the other tech sections where there are an abundance of “show me” posts on many different topics. If you want any and all options you can find, then the best approach would be to search ck5 and other sites for different ways of doing what you want. Otherwise we’re soon going to be buried under many “I need to build a cage, show me pics!”, “I’m building a flat bed, show me pics!”, “I’m bobbing the bed, show me pics!”, and on and on ad-nauseum. Nothing wrong with that, except it belongs in standard tech, not here...

For example of a better post, you could list the approaches you have considered and why you don’t like them for your specific scenario, then ask for alternatives or ways to address your concerns. You, as the person requesting input, should take the time to spell things out for the people you expect to help, don’t put the burden on them. I for one tend to avoid open questions like your initial post simply because I can think of literally dozens of approaches off the top of my head and I don’t feel like looking for (or uploading) pics of every option. Nor do I feel like taking the time to describe them all. How am I supposed to narrow it down without more info? Even if I take the time to answer you, you likely have already considered and discarded several of them, so I would be wasting my time and yours as well as contributing to the “noise” here. If you gave us more to work with, we could go straight to your needs rather than wasting time and bandwidth.

Nobody is busting on you, we're just trying to keep things on track.

12. quadracing

Ok, sorry I was so vague about this, I didn't relieve I had to be that specific as to what I needed. I have the interior gutted, and have put patch panels in all the places that needed them, have also taken out the rear tailgate, and redone all that with a custom tailgate, I am at the point now that I am ready to put in a roll cage. I know the basics on building cages and have done alot of research, but have not found a good article on how it ataches to the frame, I know how people atach them to the body with a plate, but I know that people attach them to the frame and wanted to see an example is all.
    I read the forum name and it said design and construction, so I thought I was in the right place, sorry if I am mistaking. also I am working on an 1985 chevy full size blazer. I mainly do mudding with it, no high speed stuff.

13. BadDog

No reason to apologize, we’re all still trying to work out the best way to keep the signal strength high in this forum. Without ongoing efforts (and understanding) by all of us, it could easily degrade into something like the Garage.

As to generality of attaching to the frame, the only answer at this stage is, “it depends”. The basics are that you need to continue to allow the body and frame to flex separately or you will start breaking things. Lots of different approaches to that though. Stock body bushings of various makes, spring bushings (I don’t think they give enough personally), various mounting configs, dog legs, cantilevers, weld to frame, bolt to frame, bar through floor, plates sandwich floor, and the list goes on. There really is no best way either, it all depends on your goals and needs. If you are interested in what I did, you can read a (very) rough write up on my web site.

Anyway, if you just want the “fire hose” approach of throwing out a question like “new topic, how many ways can you think of to tie the cage to the frame?”, make a new post in the Garage (for the biggest audience, if you can stand the noise) or the 2nd Gen tech forum. Once you’ve got some ideas, come back here and we can all discuss the pros/cons with respect to your needs/goals? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I think that one thing you're going to find is that your frame is pretty narrow, the cage wants to be wide and so it really helps to use things like bumpers and nerf bars as beefy frame extensions to tie everything together.

15. BadDog

Very true, that's why I went with a sub-frame and outriggers.