Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics of S&W Family Roll Cage ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88Silverado, Jul 8, 2004.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Im thinking about buying one but would like to see how it actually looks installed. Anyone have pics ??
    Are these Frame or Body mounted type?

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

The S&W cages are the body mount type. I was going to purchase one to save time, instead of bending one myself, but decided to just do my own since I was narrowing the truck at the same time. Do yourself a favor and get their upgraded cage, it is made from 1.75 x .120 wall DOM, the other is only 1.625 x .185 HREW tube.

3. 88Silverado

Thanks, What I was really wondering is does the cage fit up tight inside the cab. If so, how do you weld it without burning things up? Sure would be nice if it was a bolt-together type. Since I dont have a welder or a bender makes things more difficult /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Not sure if the dashboard and behind the seat cross supports are really needed. Looks like most people who have cages built their own.

Thanks

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I dont like the idea but to drop the cage down to weld the top your suppost to drill holes in the floor for the tube to slide through. In comes the mounting plates. you loosely setup your cage tack weld and then you pull out the mounting plates and let the cage slide down through the floor and weld the tops. Then you lift it back up, I guess put sealer under the mounting plates and bolt the plates in, then weld the cage back to the plates. Since I just done the diamond plate floors I'm hoping with the top off I can slide it back enough to weld the back areas and hopefully do good enough to the fronts. I may end up cutting a big sunroof to weld the top sections in /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

6. 88Silverado

Aaahhhhh....so thats how its done /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

gokarter..thanks for that link..I bookmarked it.

I was hoping to find a cage setup for around $300-400, looks like theyre going up due to steel prices. Im sure shipping will add several more $$$

Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif