Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics Of Sas S10

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by 4bynut, Aug 19, 2005.

1. 4bynut

4bynut 1/2 ton status

Anyone have pics of their S10's with SAS. I have a 4" trailmaster and 3" body with 33" swampers now. But I'm curious about the SAS. I've been around 4X4's quite a while, so I now the benefits. I was wondering what leafs are used (fullsize pickup or something else). And also what brackets can be used to mount them. Thank's in advance Jason

Here's a couple pics of my truck, the way it sits now.

DSC00389.JPG

DSC00391.JPG

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

We're working on one right now, just haven't gotten there yet. We do have the spring over done in the rear, so that's where we are so far. Progress will probably posted on krazyk5.com, but I might post it up in here too.

We'll be using springs from the rear of a ZR2 blazer in the front of ours. We also have the front dana 44 from an '81 Wagoneer. 79 and earlier were passenger side diff. In 83 they started doing vacuum disconnects and crap like that, so the '81 was perfect. We're in the process of getting the brackets figured out.

[​IMG]
    That's how it sits right now. We think it was already lifted a little, the rear springs didn't appear to be stock. We slapped the AMC 20 rear end out of the wagoneer in there with a custom perch job and a conversion u-joint. Went fairly easily.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

why the 20 rear?

i thought they quit making the model 20 YEARS ago?

4. 4bynut

4bynut 1/2 ton status

PVFJR - Thank's for the help. Let me know if you find some stock brackets that can be used to mount the front springs or if you have to custom make them. I've seen on the fullsize chevy trucks 88-98 where they are able to use rear leaf brackets to mount them. Thank's Jason

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Depends on what axles you install. I know on my full width setup the rear leaf spring mounts run right underneath the frame rail. The frames on full sizes are much wider(surprise, placing the springs inside of the frame rail at the rear mount and under the frame rail at the front mount. Personally my springs are outside of the framerail in the front and under the frame at the rear mount. Sorry no pictures, I want to keep them to myself until I'm done, I always go picture happy, self control testing.

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well it's from the same rig as the 44 front, so it was easy. It also ended up being a one-piece axle version, not the poorly reputed two-piece. Randy's ring and pinion has a little info about them, and they didn't sound too bad.

Here's a pic showing the model 20 r&p(right) compared to that of a 44(left).
    [​IMG]
    http://www.ringpinion.com/content/technicalhelp/default.asp?pid=138

7. wildcatkit52

wildcatkit52 Registered Member

Figured I would post and say I am about to start on my new toy. I am going to use all the parts I have stockpiled to use on my 89 burban. They will go on the 90 S10 blazer I have had for a number of years. 6in springs, ORD 2 1/2 in rear shackle flip, front end daystar rear shackle, various custom parts... Still waiting on 14FF and D60 with 4.56's that will be a gift from my uncle sam. Just have to wait for some to become available... The rest of the burban will be parted out.

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well, we've got the front crossmember welded in, and some hangers attached to it. No pics yet, soon to follow.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My framerails are extended, brackets are on, shackle mount is on, shackles are mounted, leaf springs are in place and supporting the truck :D

Next time I make the trip home it should be sitting on the Dana 60(just need u-bolts to get it done).

I don't want to share pictures until I am done the project.

10. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Progress

Springs are "mounted" though some more welding is in order, but we ran out of wire. The springs ended up being REALLY soft, and the shackle maxed out by the time the truck started to come off the jackstand. Looks like we'll probably pick up on of those longer lowering shackles. We're also gonna try and swap in a leaf or two to stiffen things up a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what springs?

12. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

13. wildcatkit52

wildcatkit52 Registered Member

Sounds like good advice all around on that other thread. Longer shackles and spring over. The springs have more arch fully compressed than you will find on stock K5's...

What is the length of those springs? (around 52 inches?)
    Where do they put your axle in relation to the center of the wheel well?

14. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, spring over is going to be a PITA though. We'll have to see what we can come up with.

The springs put the axle farther forward. We also made our front hanger as far forward as possible, I'm guessing all said and done it's about 4" farther up. The springs are about 53" in the compressed state you see in the pic.

If things never work out with these springs, the hangers we have could probably acommodate a set of 52's, that would always give us a lot of options. I would like to use these though, cause they are FLEXY. We should be able to get something worked out.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status