Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pics of Shackle Flip?? Before and After?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mattcorleone, Jul 13, 2004.

1. mattcorleone

mattcorleone Registered Member

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any before and after pics of a shackle flip? Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

There are quite a few pics out there but you can look in my webshots folder. I dont have any good pics of the before but you can kinda see it in the 80 K5 folder.
    In the "1 Ton addition" folder is pics of a shackle flip with the stock springs and other pics of the flip, 6" long shackles and the 57" ford springs

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

4. big pappa b

Show off /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. jjlaughner

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif it was very hard not to post a dozon pictures in here /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. big pappa b

You should thinking about swithcing career fields and become a photographer /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. jjlaughner

I am! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Freelance photographer like weddings and such. Word of mouth, I dont advertise. Usually I get $200-250 I use all my own equipment then after the wedding I hand the parents like 10rolls of film and say there ya go! I dont handle any of the processing and stuff. I dont have the resources to do that and most photographers say pic however many based on this and this and this package deal... My way they get ALL the pics and can do with the negs as they want, when they want. If they want reprints in 5 years they have the negatives to do so. Other photographers charge alot of money for few prints and no reprints.
    My buddy's parent in-laws paid 1000's (like 3-4K) and had a photographer do their wedding and they only got to choose 40ish of the 100's of pictures he took, so when he got the book of 100 prints to choose from he sat down and scanned them all in the computer. My way, they can go get the pics developed and choose the photoCD option also, the take the negs back and have big pictures made, or most places they have the digital photobooth with media reader, pick a pic off the cd, crop, color correct and print out fullsize pics right in the store. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. mattcorleone

mattcorleone Registered Member

Hey, thanks for the links guys. Exactly what I wanted to see. Forgive my questions that have probably been asked 10,000 times in the past month, but as far as a flip goes... am I correct that a flip does not have to be done when adding taller springs (6")? Can someone explain or direct me to a link to explain the benefits/drawbacks of a flip(can't find the answers I need in the friggin' search!!!)? Thanks a million!!

Hey Big Pappa... I'm born and raised (all my 23 years) in Townsend... I wonder if I've seen your beast around town. I'm up in Maine now... only been up here about 8 months so far though. Little further than 15 minutes away now!

[ QUOTE ]
    There are quite a few pics out there but you can look in my webshots folder. I dont have any good pics of the before but you can kinda see it in the 80 K5 folder.
    In the "1 Ton addition" folder is pics of a shackle flip with the stock springs and other pics of the flip, 6" long shackles and the 57" ford springs

[/ QUOTE ]

9. big pappa b

SHackle flip can be done all by itself, no need for other springs. Depending on which flip you get, you can gain 2, 4 or 5.5". There may be a few other variations but those are the most common.
    I've only been in Delaware for 3.5 years and the K5 just this year took on the BIG look /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

One draw back of the shackle flip is it messes with your pinion angle, so most people get certain degree shims to get it back to normal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You can use the shackle flip in variations with springs. I.E. 2" lift springs + 4" shackle flip will net you approx. 6" of lift. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Here is the DIY guide to shackle flips Clicky

Oh yeah, and another...I forgot I even had a write up on this Clicky #2

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

of all the ones I have seen when doing a flip, wiether it be ORD(mine), Echo(echo echo echo....)bit(my buddy's 86 lwb), or homebrew(my brothers k5) the angle ends up perfect with the flip.

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

for all 3 ways?

14. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

yeap. the only difference would be on the longer wheelbase like that of a suburban, but my burb has blocks.

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

oh okay. I was wrong again this morning /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

16. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

but the disclaimer is, not all rigs are the same, thats just the 3 of the 4 I have worked with.

17. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

18. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Here's one place to look:
    ORD flip page

Or you can call if you're still having a hard time sorting it out.